Author Topic: CAN'T RUN A SCAN  (Read 9357 times)

littlebit1

CAN'T RUN A SCAN
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
When I tried to run a scan a mesage popped up that a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly and that windows will close and notify when a solution is available. I installed 4.8 yesterday with all definitions up to date. All seems to be working ???  but I can not run a scan ??? I am using Vista Home Premium..32 bit
 Thanks
 Liz

brockey01

Re: CAN'T RUN A SCAN
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:36:04 AM »
id uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:38 AM »
Can you check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX there  (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).
The best things in life are free.

PHALM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:46:58 AM »
have exact same problem...When I tried to run a scan a mesage popped up that a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly and that windows will close and notify when a solution is available. I installed 4.8 yesterday with all definitions up to date.also running vista

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »
have exact same problem...When I tried to run a scan a mesage popped up that a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly and that windows will close and notify when a solution is available. I installed 4.8 yesterday with all definitions up to date.also running vista
Same suggestion as above...

ofertunas

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
hi, i have te same problem since i update to ver. 4.8, but only when i scan all te hdd. if i scan in quick mode therĀ“s no problem - (sorry my english is not good)

Wattsa02

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
Dear friends: I am also worried, as it happens the same to me: A window pops up saying virus scanner has detected a problem and must close, asking if I want to send a message to Microsoft, whenever I try to get full scanning of the hard disk opening zip files.. (just in a few seconds after beginning the scanning of C:\Windows), but not in the fastest option; while the other parts of the antivirus seem to be working fine. I also installed the program yesterday.
I use Windows XP and a firewall and Spybot(after getting off the resident opt).
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
I've tested both Pro (Enhanced) and Home scannings on-demand.
I see no problems. I can't imagine what's wrong with your systems.
I can only shot in the dark: an old antivirus installed, SpywareTerminator with antivirus integration... who knows...

littlebit1

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »
Thanks for your replies  :)   Just thought I'd let you know that today after starting up my computer I downloaded the newest updates and ran a scan...all seems to be up and running  8)   I don't know if I needed to reboot yesterday after I updated the definitions... or if it was the most recent update that fixed it...but I am pleased to say it is all working  ;)
 Once again Thanks
 Liz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 03:35:59 AM »
Glad that everything is working now.
Feel free to come back any time you need help ;)

hutchie35

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »
Have same problem checked the data file no files marked with xxx.
Scan starts but stops mid way, running vista pro. had no problems until vista 4.8 installation

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
Have same problem checked the data file no files marked with xxx.
Scan starts but stops mid way, running vista pro. had no problems until vista 4.8 installation
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximatelly at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

hutchie35

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
Have just managed to complete the scan, unsure what happened but when went into settings and turned on the report it completed the scan okay :)
Not sure if the computer completed a update just prior to the scan.
I thank you for assistance

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
completed the scan okay :)
Glad you succeed.
Feel free to come back to ask for any assistance that you may need.

Wattsa02

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »
When it happened to me, I think that it didn't happen at the same point, as it could happen just beginning to scan (the first files in C:) or a bit later.
But it is possible to scan that files if I scan them, choosing the option to scan files (and then checking C:, eg.).
When the Window pops up, the skin of Avast seems to be going on checking files, you can move the mouse, to close the window, or to send a report to Microsoft, though it is a window from "virus scan".
I send a copy of the window.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:37:16 PM by Wattsa02 »