Author Topic: aswsp.sys - Device driver issue and blue screen of death  (Read 18585 times)

Ridgeway

aswsp.sys - Device driver issue and blue screen of death
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:29 AM »
Hi,

Since yesterday am struggling with blue screen until I renamed the driver to a .old after 'Safe' boot of XP. The file was named on the BSOD. System works fine now although I am sure if I take program updates and I will get blue screens again. No recent laptop changes/installs. Any advice welcomed.

Martin

rassel

Re: aswsp.sys - Device driver issue and blue screen of death
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »
There must be some word when the blue screen appear. Can you post the word that appear from the blue screen? Dont post the word that not important ( this is the example of not important " Uninstall newly installed device or programs ......")  You can also get some information about blue screen error from some website.

If you think that this problem is related to avast than see here http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=87
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:23:05 AM by rassel »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
This is one of the new drivers in avast 4.8 supporting the self-protection feature of avast. 

I believe this is the first instance we have heard of a BSOD associated with this driver so any more details you can provide would be much appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
Please send me the latest file from the \windows\minidump folder (by email - my address is in my forum profile).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Ridgeway

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
I pulled the latest program updates down and hey presto bsod again. Had my camera at the ready so have a screen shot available if required.

"
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ASWSP.SYS

The driver is attempting to access memory after it has been freed
"

Will mail the latest (10 of 10) of the minidump files to Vik.

Thanks all, much appreciated. Pls let me know if you need anything further.

Martin

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
Yep, this is the bug that has already been reported. It only takes place if Comodo is installed (but it's an avast bug).
It will be fixed in the upcoming program update.

It is also supposed to be fixed by this pre-release version:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Ridgeway

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
Thanks Vlk. I'll install the pre-release version and let you know if i have any issues.

Fish (David B. Trout)

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
Yep, this is the bug that has already been reported. It only takes place if Comodo is installed (but it's an avast bug).

FYI: it seems to also only take place (with me anyway) when Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) is installed and running.

Note too that you need to be running as an Administrator as well, since it is only when you're logged on with Administrative authority that Process Explorer dynamically installs its PROCEXP111.sys driver.

Further note that it only seems to occur (again, with me) whenever the system is "under load/stress" with many processes being created and ending very quickly.

The way I was able to trigger it was when I started using a new program I wrote called RunJobs (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/MFC/runjobs.aspx) to help speed up the building of my various software products.

What I find odd however, is I was never able to cause it even with RunJobs and avast On-Access Protection enabled (and building many project configurations at the same time (i.e. many processes being created and ending very quickly)) whenever I used Task Manager instead of Process Explorer. Apparently (for me anyway) it is only when Process Explorer is thrown into the mix that avast (aswsp.sys) seems to screw up.   ???

It is also supposed to be fixed by this pre-release version:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

I can offer preliminary confirmation that the above mentioned beta (4.8.1192) does indeed at least resolve my problem. Whether or not it also resolves others' problems remains to be seen (but I'm fairly confident it probably will).

Keep up the good work folks and don't let this bug bother you. Everyone's human and mistakes will always occur from time to time. The trick is to just fix them as quickly and as efficiently as you can whenever they do occur and not let it bother you. After all, the only kind of people that don't make mistakes are either those who are perfect and those who never attempt anything.(*)    ;D

-----------------------
(*) And the corollary: those who make the most mistakes are either completely incompetent (if they're not attempting anything or attempting very little) and those who are doing all the work.   ;)