Author Topic: Demand scan at the end !!  (Read 15220 times)

hines232

Demand scan at the end !!
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »
Just did an, "on demand scan" Through,"c" drive, and all files including "archive". At the end of scan I got this listing,"see attachment". Do I worry ??????????? ;D (Also, if I right click on one of them I have options) delete,chest,move, and so on. Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Demand scan at the end !!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:16:08 AM »
Short answer: No and you should take no action.

Longer answer:
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text. If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

You need to expand the column widts to a) see the full path and b) the reason why they can't be scanned.
- Expand Column Width, hover the mouse pointer over the column header divider until the pointer changes (see image) left click and hold down the key whilst dragging the pointer to the right.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
Aok !! and I again thank you.( a very through, and well executed answer).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bvmcginnis

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
Piggybacking: Thank you for the info re Avast "unable to scan".  I did as you advised & uninstalled slingbox, then I restarted my computer.  I scanned again with Avast and it still shows the same notice, but I did notice it had .exe files.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Or what else I must do?  Thanks a lot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »
I scanned again with Avast and it still shows the same notice, but I did notice it had .exe files.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Or what else I must do?  Thanks a lot.
Can you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.
The best things in life are free.

bvmcginnis

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »
RE:<<<<<Can you schedule a boot-time scanning? Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning>>>>>>>.
I plead ignorance-I am of the older generation just trying to keep up. 
Please, what is boot time scanning and what is a skin.  I don't understand the terms or is "skin" the icon on the faceplate thingee (see, there I go again).  Thank you - have patience.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:56:51 AM »
what is boot time scanning
It's a scanning that runs before Windows loads, in boot time, while the computer is starting...

and what is a skin.
The avast version 4 is a skinable application what means that avast can be shown in multiple aspects, like different skins in a human body. The skin in the application is the application area, the antivirus program, any place that is not a button, for instance, is the skin area.
You can see avast skins here: http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:49 AM »
A boot-time scan is a scan that can be done before windows starts, this may be able to overcome certain issues that can't be scanned, though it is more commonly used when avast needs to move an infected file that is either in use or protected by windows.

So I suspect you still wouldn't be able to scan it even with a boot-time scan, it entirely depends on 'why it couldn't be scanned' and you didn't mention that ?

A skin is basically a pretty wrapper around what would be a boring windows box, the Simple User Interface (SUI), where you were no doubt doing the scan is a skin, so you are right clicking on the SUI.

I have to admit to a certain amount of confusion here also, having read your first post in this topic (reply #4), I can't see where anyone recommend you uninstall anything ?
So I can only assume this is similar to you first post in the forums, see below.

To someone who has experience with the 4.8 on Win Vista.  I have a querry.  I just got Avast and after it does it's thing, scanning, it reports; "cannot scan...xx. is password protected".  This is my brand new laptop so I don't get it.  Did it not scan?  How do I un-password protect it? Thanks for any help.

I replied to that giving a link and more information:
To someone who has experience with the 4.8 on Win Vista.  I have a querry.  I just got Avast and after it does it's thing, scanning, it reports; "cannot scan...xx. is password protected".  This is my brand new laptop so I don't get it.  Did it not scan?  How do I un-password protect it? Thanks for any help.

This really should have been on its own new topic (or use the forum search tool as it is often asked) as it is unrelated to this topic.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for information on why files can't be scanned.

So I can only guess that this is you getting back ?
I suggest you read the information on the above link I have reposted so you are famillar with the why things can't be scanned and be able to tell us the reason given for why it couldn't be scanned.

bvmcginnis

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
Yes, David R, this was the exact page (here) you linked me to. That lead me to "Mr" Tech.  Mr. Tech was helpful, thank you. (Obviously) my first posting in a public forum.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:08:36 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 04:22:28 AM »
That lead me to "Mr" Tech.  Mr. Tech was helpful, thank you.
People call me just Tech, without Mr ;)

bvmcginnis

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Got ya, Tech. I was being formal, you being Sensei, me being grasshopper.  Thank you both for your help.