Author Topic: Results of Last Scan  (Read 3121 times)

littlebit1

Results of Last Scan
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:43:13 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject for me. Just recently after running any kind of virus scan, whether it's a thorough scan, standard or a quick scan, I get this report of last scan stating    C:/users/Liz/AppData/Local/.../items.V62_0(1).swf   result Unable to scan.
I just ran a standard scan and I have two others the same. I also have one that instead of AppData/Local it's Local Settings/Microsoft but with the same v62_0(1).swf...unable to scan.
 What is this exactly?..I have never had any files on this computer that Avast! was unable to scan. The only thing I have changed is that I installed SAS. Could this be it?
Thanks
Liz

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Results of Last Scan
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »
What is this exactly?..I have never had any files on this computer that Avast! was unable to scan. The only thing I have changed is that I installed SAS. Could this be it?

Yes, it could be it.

[Text that I shameless took from one if DavidR's posts...  :) But it is a good post!]

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text. If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35890.msg301378#msg301378
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:16:49 AM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:39:23 AM »
@ littlebit1
You don't mention why it can't be scanned, that is given in the report, though you may need to expand the column width by dragging the column headings.

But I doubt it is because you have installed SAS unless the files were something to do with SAS, which I don't think they are as the location isn't the SAS folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

littlebit1

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:08:03 AM »
Thanks guys for you help, I ran another scan and thanks to you guys I figured out how to get the whole report, not just a small part of it  ::) They all are in the temporary internet files with the result being unable to scan: Internal program error. ???
Any ideas
Thanks
 Liz

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
You're welcome.

Sorry no ideas on the internal program error, but I would certainly clean out my temp files, manually can be a pain, here are some tools to make life easier.

ClearProg - Temp File Cleaner or CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security