Author Topic: No inserted "clean" messages  (Read 3929 times)

jedakay

No inserted "clean" messages
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:47:05 AM »
Well, I'm back again.  Changed IP provider to AT&T.net which basically is Yahoo Beta mail (I think).  I can send and receive just fine within Thunderbird but "clean" messages are not displayed in either text or html view.  "Insert note into clean message" is checked and "ignore local communication" is unchecked; no more Ypops.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: No inserted "clean" messages
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »
Don't forget that you will not see the inserted note in the 'Sent Items' folder of your mail program, because avast adds the note after the mail leaves the mail program.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
Ah but ...

how is this mail being received from Yahoo in Thunderbird. 

If you have been provided with POP/SMTP access to this account is it using secured ports to access the account?  If so then it cannot be scanned directly by avast.

Which ports are you using for the Yahoo account in Thunderbird?

jedakay

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:43:14 AM »
Ok, that's it!  ATT/Yahoo is using SSL with 995 for incoming and 465 for outgoing mail.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:09:17 AM »
Thought so. 

You can have that scanned now along with avast using the third party STunnel software.  Let us know if you wish to do so and need any help ... the search function in this forum can guide you too.

If you can wait a little longer then, probably by the end of the year, the equivalent function of STunnel to help you work with secure ports to get email scanned will, most likely, be provided within the next release of avast itself.

If you gotta have it now then you can also use the Webmail extensions of Thunderbird (as I do) to get your Yahoo mail scanned but that is similar to YPops and breaks when the Yahoo folks make changes.  You can get help here with that too or wait for avast 5.0 ... up to you.

I recommend staying as you are until avast 5.0.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:22:02 AM by alanrf »

jedakay

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »
I agree with you and will just wait for 5.0; I believe ATT/Yahoo has their own email antivirus program anyway, just doesn't show as a message.  Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
I agree with you and will just wait for 5.0; I believe ATT/Yahoo has their own email antivirus program anyway, just doesn't show as a message.  Thanks.
I will install Stunnel and get it scanned... it won't hurt that much and will allow protection. There are quite some months until avast 5 release afik.
The best things in life are free.