Author Topic: last remnant of virus  (Read 4656 times)

chuckmedia

last remnant of virus
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
I had a virus..downloaded avast free home edition and it appears to have gotten rid of it. The only remnant is when I start up my computer (I'm on Windows XP) I now always get a screen that says WinAntispyware2008 Module (The virus was disguised as this WinAntispyware), and asks me if I want to debug or send the error message to microsoft or don't send it. I always click on don't send and it disappears---only to reappear the next time I sign on to my computer. Anyone know how to get this from appearing every time I sign on? Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: last remnant of virus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
RogueRemover is a utility that can remove various rogue antispyware, antivirus and hard drive cleaning utilities. Rogue applications are applications that rather than remove spyware, provide false positives, distribute malware or spyware, advertise, or provide useless uninstallers. The main point is that rogue applications are useless and eat up system resources.

Check http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php
The best things in life are free.

chuckmedia

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
appreciate your suggestion...I downloaded it, but it did not do anything more than avast home edition did...So I still have the problem that the module keeps popping up whenever the computer is started.
Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »
appreciate your suggestion...I downloaded it, but it did not do anything more than avast home edition did...So I still have the problem that the module keeps popping up whenever the computer is started.
Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

Please read and follow directions:
http://malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
4. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.