Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home Edition blocking websites  (Read 5143 times)

Offline gspal

• Personal Message (Offline)
Avast 4.8 Home Edition blocking websites
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »
 ::) Since installing Avast 4.8 Home Edition on my home based computer on August 1 2008, I find that it blocks most sites that I could access earlier.  For example, it blocks http://mtjobs.getweblist.com/index.php, http://in.indiatimes.com/default1.cms.  For the fact it blocks the forum site of Avast (!) http://forum.avast.com. At times I have to refresh a couple of times for the website to open. The only way I find to bypass this feature is to disable its On-Access Protection Control, which can be dangerous if I forget to switch it back on. Can somebody help out? The operating system of my PC is Windows XP2 Professional and I use IE 6. My processore is AMD 64 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM.

Offline wyrmrider

• avast! Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 4.8 Home Edition blocking websites
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
Hi
those two sites work fine for me
Let's see what others have to say

Offline Tech

• avast! team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
Is your avast installation updated?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:32:53 PM »
avast doesn't block web sites unless you specifically have it block them, it isn't a firewall.

I can access all three of those sites with no problems obviously the last one or I couldn't answer this.

I suggest you check your HOSTS file as commonly if you can't access security sites it could be it has been tampered with. I can see no reason why the other two would be blocked using the HOSTS file.

HOSTS file redirect - 127.0.0.1 check your HOSTS file using notepad or a text editor of your choice, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or do a search for HOSTS to find it if not there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

You would be looking for avast.com as an entry with 127.0.0.1.
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2014 9.0.2018/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 28.0, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.0.1/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline gspal

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
avast doesn't block web sites unless you specifically have it block them, it isn't a firewall.

I can access all three of those sites with no problems obviously the last one or I couldn't answer this.

I suggest you check your HOSTS file as commonly if you can't access security sites it could be it has been tampered with. I can see no reason why the other two would be blocked using the HOSTS file.

HOSTS file redirect - 127.0.0.1 check your HOSTS file using notepad or a text editor of your choice, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or do a search for HOSTS to find it if not there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

You would be looking for avast.com as an entry with 127.0.0.1.

David, in Note Pad I have opened this Hosts file and the details are as under:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.2      www.indiaproperty.com/
127.0.0.3       www.bharatmatrimony.com/
127.0.0.4       www.clickjobs.com/
127.0.0.5       www.indialist.com/
127.0.0.6       www.indiaautomobile.com/
127.0.0.7       www.indiapages.com/
127.0.0.8       www.loanwala.com/

203.27.235.25 www.payseal.icicibank.com
210.210.19.82   www.sifymall.com

For Avast 4.8 Home Edition I am currently using:
Build: Jul2008 (4.8.1229)

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
OK, now is the question did you place these entries there (those below the 127.0.0.1       localhost line) as I couldn't see a purpose to effectively stop you visiting them ?

Why there is an incremental increase in what would be the normal local host address of 127.0.0.1, it seems more like a manual addition and the user thought the 127.0.0.1 should be increased by 1 on each line, e.g. 127.0.0.2, etc.

The last two seem strange and would redirect what is already icicibank.com to an IP also for icicibank.com.
The same would seem to be true for sifymail.com giving another IP also for sify but slightly different, silfymail.net.

So there is nothing in there that would block any of the sites you gave in your first post.

So this may be firewall or other security program related (clash/conflict) if you can connect with the web shield terminated, that is the safe way to test as the Standard Shield would still be enabled.

What is your firewall ?
What other security software do you have installed ?
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2014 9.0.2018/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 28.0, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.0.1/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline gspal

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:22 AM »
Dear David:

This is the first time I had ever opened this file.
127.0.0.2      www.indiaproperty.com/
127.0.0.3       www.bharatmatrimony.com/
127.0.0.4       www.clickjobs.com/
127.0.0.5       www.indialist.com/
127.0.0.6       www.indiaautomobile.com/
127.0.0.7       www.indiapages.com/
127.0.0.8       www.loanwala.com/

203.27.235.25 www.payseal.icicibank.com
210.210.19.82   www.sifymall.com

The above got installed when I installed broadband from Sify.com. I uninstalled the same, as it was lousy and wanted to promote its group sites as mentioned above, thus further slowing my computer.

I have no other security systems other than the Firewall that comes with Windows XP 2.

This Avast 4.8 Home Edition seems to be gobbling up my RAM space. I work as a medical transcriber. Whenever, say, I am opening another MS Word 2003 file, my PC takes ages to open the same. Very irritating. Before this I had McAfee Enterprise who seemed to change their engine every 12 months whereby .DAT files downloaded could not get updated if the engine was old.

It may be better I try another antivirus like AVG 7.5 that I have rather than fooling with Avast

Offline DavidR

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »
If you didn't put the top group in there you can delete them and save the changes.

If you are no longer with sify you can also remove that entry.

If you don't have any banking through the icicibank.com or use any other services that might, then you could remove that also.

Unfortunately none of this would resolve your existing problem.

This isn't anything to do with avast as it doesn't selectively block sites especially its own.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

The above might not work with an enterprise version but you may be able to find an uninstall tool for that on their site.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now