Author Topic: Windows and Microsoft Update turning off  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Windows and Microsoft Update turning off
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »
When turning updates off really doesn't

Windows Secrets first disclosed on Sept. 13, 2007, that Microsoft had been silently downloading Windows Update (WU) executable components on users' computers — even when the users' auto-update settings required advance permission. At the time, Microsoft admitted in its Update Product Team blog that it has carried out this practice for many years, as I wrote in a follow-up column.

This time, Microsoft is being more up-front about its forthcoming refresh of Windows Update. For example, product manager Michelle Haven described in a blog post on July 3 some new features that the upgrade will add.

The new version will reportedly reduce the time WU takes to scan for and send out new updates. In addition, if you use the online version of WU, and you click an update for more information, the new version will offer you more links with additional details.

But the Redmond company hasn't changed the wording of the Control Panel settings that appear to prevent Windows Update from performing silent downloads — but don't.

In light of these potentially misleading controls, a few tricks on managing Windows Update are just what the doctor ordered.

To view your Windows Update options in Windows XP, press the Windows key plus R to open the Run box. (In Vista, just press the Windows key.) In both versions of Windows, type control wuaucpl.cpl and press Enter. In Vista, select Change settings on the left.

According to the aforementioned blog post, the Microsoft Update Product Team considers Windows Update to be turned on when any setting is selected except the last one:

• Turn off Automatic Updates (in XP)
• Never check for updates (in Vista)

Consequently, Windows Update itself may be updated even if you select an option such as:

• Notify me but don't automatically download or install them (in XP)
• Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them (in Vista)

Quoted from: Windows Secrets & Support Alert Newsletter Issue 164 • 2008-08-14

More options and tips... http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080814
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:52:10 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Staind

Re: Windows and Microsoft Update turning off
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »
If you use this method can you still manually update windows?  I find that if I turn off automatic updates I can't manually update windows.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »
If you use this method can you still manually update windows?  I find that if I turn off automatic updates I can't manually update windows.
I think if you have a legit Windows installation, yes, you can manually update. Maybe you can check if the Windows Update service is set to manual (not disabled).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:46:45 AM »
On all XP systems that I have seen the Windows Update site will not allow updating if the Automatic Update service is not set to automatic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:51:30 AM »
On all XP systems that I have seen the Windows Update site will not allow updating if the Automatic Update service is not set to automatic.
Yes, you're right. I've forgot it. I've made a script to change the registry key that set it to automatic, then I update, then the script change back the registry key to disabled.