Poll

Do you that avast should also have it's internet security suite?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Should avast start an avast internet security suite?  (Read 9320 times)

Macintosh

Should avast start an avast internet security suite?
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
Most of the antivirus companies today have an internet security suite :D Then shouldn't avast also start an internet security suite :D Please give your opinions :)

DukeNukem

Re: Should avast start an avast internet security suite?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »
Including a Firewall module in the current avast antivirus, which can be disabled and even uninstalled / not installed during setup would be a nice security package.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »

NO ... absolutely not!    :(

Most of us on this forum intensely dislike bloatware ... another name for suites.     ::)

shmo3

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:06:03 AM »
i say no... cuz i think an anti-virus should make sure that no virus gets in & stop trying to be a anti spyware/firewall...i had f-secure & had zonealarm & when i got a virus most trojans it would not deleted them..... i installed avast! & did a boot scan... & no more virus...
i give my hat off to avast.. cuz it just kills anything that comes its way as virus wise... so i say let a avast do the anti-virus, & let the best firewall do its thing.. & get a few anti-spyware progams do there thing... thats what i am doing & its working very great

p.s. plus... if you do a combo like that it makes ppl that are making the virus alot easier to find loop holes in the suit!

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:35:32 AM »
but avast av detects some spyware and they are developing there own firewall so its not gonna be just av in the near future,i say make a suite(if thats whats planned)and stand alone apps
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:37:08 AM by bri »

Faizfast6

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
avast! is already a security suite because it has a web shield, P2P shield, e-mail scanner and a script blocker for pro. But it only needs a firewall and a tougher anti-spyware.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:56:11 AM by Faizfast6 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »
Not a suite, but standalone applications.
I think I miss only a firewall :'(
The best things in life are free.

Macintosh

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »
avast! is already a security suite because it has a web shield, P2P shield, e-mail scanner and a script blocker for pro. But it only needs a firewall and a tougher anti-spyware.
Even I feel the same but I didn't feel it has any antispyware a few weeks my internet speed was decreasing and decreasing I scanned with avast and found no viruses but after that I did a scan with Superantispyware and it removed some spyware and tracking cookies and my internet speed increased :)But avast did detect some adware on my computer :)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
well..i think a avast security suite is a nice idea..coz alwil has a secret key:knows how to make good products and not bloatware...so i think it can make a bug-free security suite...i think that standalone products should exist as well...
Even I feel the same but I didn't feel it has any antispyware a few weeks my internet speed was decreasing and decreasing I scanned with avast and found no viruses but after that I did a scan with Superantispyware and it removed some spyware and tracking cookies and my internet speed increased :)But avast did detect some adware on my computer :)

thats maybe coz avast is an antivirus and its not long time that it built an antispyware engine..it needs time to be improved to a great antispyware.. ;)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
Tracking cookies, I don't even waste my time scanning for them in SAS, they aren't a security risk, but if anything a minor privacy risk and shouldn't slow any connection.

As for any detections with SAS, if they haven't been detected by avast you can send the sample to avast before allowing SAS to quarantine and delete it, improving detections for all avast users.

e.g. Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

It may be no bad thing to confirm the detection at virustotal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:42 AM »
so i think it can make a bug-free security suite...
I share this feeling. We have a lot of trouble trying to find two compatible software (antivirus and firewall) for Vista, for instance. From time to time, low level drivers conflict. So, it won't be bad to have an avast fully compatible solution ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »
if there'll be a free version  ;) why not?  ;D ;D
MW

mbryeans

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
No, a program can do one thing and do it very well or it can try and do everything and end up doing only a so-so job. Now if avast wants to come out with a stand alone firewall and make it do that one thing well ( restrict/watch inbound/outbound TCP connects ), I'd go for that.

gdiloren

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
Why not do like Comodo? They leave you the choice to download separately their AV, FW or BOCLEAN for free without asking much. (in theory) :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:32:58 PM by gdiloren »

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »
Why not do like Comodo? They leave you the choise to download separately their AV, FW or BOCLEAN for free without asking much. (in theory) :)

well i like avast to have standalone AV,FW etc...but an internet suite would be nice too...i think it can make a bug-free suite...so why not give it a try?
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner