Author Topic: Sorry for asking, but.. which is better: AVG 8 or avast?  (Read 18863 times)

xblazingpig

Sorry for asking, but.. which is better: AVG 8 or avast?
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
Though I have not used AVG for years, AVG 7.5 was quite easy to use and since it had scheduled scans, I basically had to do nothing, and it alerted me when it had updates.

Then the horror 8.0 arrived.

First it was incompatible with one of my favorite PC games, and I didn't no what else to do, so I uninstalled it. The toolbar is making IE7 start very slowly, and the scans, in 7.5 they hardly caused any lag, but 8.0 caused a lot of lag. It made my computer very slow. Now even my anti-spywares are conflicting!

Sigh. I remembered the days when all the programs on my computer were compatible, and it was still quite fast. But now it's getting a little slow. 

I was going to delete AVG and try to find another AV..but then AVG Safe-Search stopped me from going to a website because this particular website had malicious stuff.. and now I'm not sure if I should convert. Though AVG 8.0 is pretty bad, it does provide decent protection.
Is avast any good and should I convert?  ??? And I would appreciate it if anyone would could answer these questions..

1) Does avast have automatic scans/updates?
2) Is avast incompatible with any programs?
3) Is the whole registrating every year in avast free a little.. annoying? Or is it worth it?

Thanks.

wyrmrider

Re: Sorry for asking, but.. which is better: AVG 8 or avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:53 AM »
xblazingpig

I too was a long time AVG user, last with 7.5
AS you know AVG is trying to merge EWIDO technology with their Fine AV
this is still, obviously, a work in progress
you know yourself of some of the bloatware and incompatibilities

All of the features of AVG 8 can be simulated with Avast and friends
There are many safe search engines- someone else will get back to you on them but there have been comparisons in the forum- you get to choose light or heavy

With Avast Internet, Mail, and Standard interceptors even if you got to a malicious website you would get a block
Of course a Hosts list and an IE Restricted Sites list can provide additional protection as can a smart firewall blocklist
I do not rely on just level of security

Avast is excellent, should you convert is up to you- AVG as with Symantec works well in a "one size fits all environment or where someone else has to support your system- easier on them- harder on you

1Avast Pro has automatic scans or there are ways to simulate
1a WITH Avasts real time on access scanns regular scanning is not as important
1b  virus database updates are INCREMENTAL and regular and automatic- program updates are semi-manual so you know when they are going to take place and you are not interrupted in the middle of something important

wyrmrider

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:37:06 AM »
something funny happened - post continued

Of Course Avast is incompatible with something- ALL PROGRAMS ARE
you will find that Avast is about the fastest in fixing incompatibilities and false positives of any AV
3 The registration thing is no big deal

If you do decide to try Avast please use the AVG removal tool first
in addition if you have EVER had any other AV or preinstalled please post back
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:41:04 AM by wyrmrider »

xblazingpig

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:48:01 AM »
Thanks for answering my questions. And I also checked AV-Comparisons, and avast is number 2 while AVG is number 3. So I think I'll give it a go. I can always go back to AVG.
And there's an AVG Removal Tool? .. Sorry, but can't you just remove it from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel in Windows?       

Well, never mind. I'm just going to go to the Start Menu, then All Programs, go under the AVG tab and click 'Uninstall AVG'. Anyway, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:18:52 AM by xblazingpig »

wyrmrider

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:04 AM »
Download Avast
remove AVG with add remove programs
remove any other AV found in add-remove programs
if you have ever had Norton, Panda, McAfee Kaspersky use their removers

You need to run this
http://www.grisoft.cz/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
after add remove programs

What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed

One quirk with AV causes it to still show up in the Windows Security Center even when its been uninstalled properly. If this is the case, please refer to this article to resolve it.

http://www.pchell.com/support/multiple_antivirus_in_security_center.shtml

Then run this  post results if it finds anything the AVG remover missed please
Using the AntiVir Registry Cleaner- works with all AV's

If for some reason the normal uninstall does not work, you may have to download AntiVir's registry cleaner utility to remove all traces of it from the registry and allow you to reinstall it.

1) Click on the following link and download the AntiVir Registry Cleaner to your desktop

http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip

2) Create a folder on your desktop called Antivir and Unzip the file to your desktop
3) Double-click on the file called RegCleaner.exe to run it

4) Since the program is German, you'll have to click on the button called "keys asulesen" to search the registry for any issues. Then place checkmarks next to the registry entries you wish to delete.

5) Finally, click on the button called "loschen" to delete the keys

6) Restart your computer and try to reinstall your antivirus

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
i totally recommend avast...its the best freeware antivirus in my opinion...when i bought my new laptop which has vista installed...i installed avg free 8 coz i thought its lighter on resources..that may be true...the bad is that it couldnt detect a virus which infected my pc..i run avg command line scanner in safe mode...and it didnt find anything...ad aware didnt find anything as well...now i'm sure that avg isnt for me...especially if ure a gamer..i formatted my laptop and reinstalled vista..now i use avast and its much better than avg free...i repeat..the best freeware u can find is avast..avg free has very limited protection..maybe the pro version is better i dont know..but the free version is crap..
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »
Sorry for asking, but.. which is better: AVG 8 or avast?
I'd consider this a loaded and unfair question especially since your asking this on
the avast! forum.
I certainly also recommend avast! but highly doubt that you can get a totally unbiased answer here.
If you where to ask this same loaded question at the AVG forum, I'm sure your answer you'd reflect
a biased toward their product.
There's nothing wrong with the question you asked but you'll never get a totally accurate answer here.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

xblazingpig

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply, bob. But you should see the AVG 8.0 Forum at the AVG Free Forum website. It's packed with complaints, and problems.. plus some long-time AVG users are threatening to find another AV if AVG doesn't fix 8.0's problems.

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »
Lots of x AVG users here
lots of W98 users here
biggest problem is the incomplete removal of AVG (or other AV)
thanks for the comments- you hit the nail on the head

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
I used AVG 7.5 for a few months before I even tried Avast! and I switched over when I found out how great Avast! was for a few reasons one is Avast! has so much to it built in that its unbelievable with the Anti-rootkit and anti-spyware and the number of shields it has and number two I just had a whole sense that I was unprotected when using AVG now I have never tried AVG 8.0 but after hearing about all the bugs and the problems with it im not inclined to try it out anytime soon  ;D
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

gdiloren

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »
I used AVG a long time ago but had problems with updates and their support and forum was and still is rotten. So I switched to AVAST! :)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
I used AVG 7.5 for a few months before I even tried Avast! and I switched over when I found out how great Avast! was for a few reasons one is Avast! has so much to it built in that its unbelievable with the Anti-rootkit and anti-spyware and the number of shields it has and number two I just had a whole sense that I was unprotected when using AVG now I have never tried AVG 8.0 but after hearing about all the bugs and the problems with it im not inclined to try it out anytime soon  ;D

wel avg 8 looked fine with my vista..no bugs at all...but as u said..i was feeling unprotected too until a virus infection proved me that i was feeling right.. :P now my parents bought me nod32 antivirus v3...a great paid antivirus..maybe the only antivirus that i would ever buy(and avast ofc)...but i still love avast and recommend it to eveyone..its light and effective..and best of all its free  8)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
I have been an avast user for four and a half years, jumping the AVG ship and I haven't looked back.

As you mention their forums, it isn't such a nice friendly and helpful place as the avast forum where people will be queuing up to help you promptly and support is a thing often overlooked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xblazingpig

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 11:42:50 PM »
Thanks everyone! I have installed avast and I love it! It's easy to use, customizable, and the On-Access Scanner makes me feel really protected. and the yes, the avast forum is way better than the AVG forum. Here, lots of friendly people come to help, while in AVG, only a few volunteers will come and help.

Though the Simple User Interface.. looks like a music player..  it's pretty easy to use. And my computer is already faster than when AVG 8.0 was the AV on my computer. Thanks again! Now off to register for a license!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 12:16:34 AM »
Thanks everyone! I have installed avast and I love it! It's easy to use, customizable, and the On-Access Scanner makes me feel really protected. and the yes, the avast forum is way better than the AVG forum. Here, lots of friendly people come to help, while in AVG, only a few volunteers will come and help.
You've found the advantages of avast related to AVG ;)

And my computer is already faster than when AVG 8.0 was the AV on my computer.
Thanks to report. I'm an ex-AVG user, but it was a long time ago, I did not test AVG 8. What I can say is that there are a lot of ex-AVG users moving toward avast ;)
The best things in life are free.