Author Topic: Avast!: The process cannot access the file ...  (Read 25689 times)

katarina

Avast!: The process cannot access the file ...
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »
... because it is being used by another process.

My daughter visited a web-page she found on a Google search and Avast immediately alerted her to "JS: Redirector B [trj]" but she can't move it to the chest because the file is being used by another process.

I cannot keep my eyes open to help her tonight.   I will direct her here in case someone else can make suggestons tonight for what steps she should take next. She is currently running an Avast Scan, but I'm wondering if she needs to just delete the file from her temporary internet files.

PotatoMan

Re: Avast!: The process cannot access the file ...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
... because it is being used by another process.

My daughter visited a web-page she found on a Google search and Avast immediately alerted her to "JS: Redirector B [trj]" but she can't move it to the chest because the file is being used by another process.

I cannot keep my eyes open to help her tonight.   I will direct her here in case someone else can make suggestons tonight for what steps she should take next. She is currently running an Avast Scan, but I'm wondering if she needs to just delete the file from her temporary internet files.

Do you know how to run a Boot Time Scan? Open avast! and right click, then select Shedule boot time scan. When avast! asks you what to do with the files it found as JS.Redirector.Trj, select Move All To Chest

Post back with results

Mike Buxton

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi katarina,

I doubt PotatoMan's solution will work, as described, without the paid Pro version of Avast.

I suggest you await advice from an experienced writer.

My regards

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
Hi katarina,

I doubt PotatoMan's solution will work, as described, without the paid Pro version of Avast.

I suggest you await advice from an experienced writer.

My regards

Hi katarina
Potatoman's advice is perfectly feasible.

(FYI. Potatoman and Mike Buxton have not seen eye-to-eye on another matter. This particular post by Mike Buxton is not helpful. Enough said.)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
Scheduling a boot-time scan is available in all version of avast Home or Pro (what isn't available is on-demand scan scheduling, which is totally different), this is however, dependant on the OS you use, older OSes, win9x, winME don't support the boot-time scan.

If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...'
Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

katarina

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »
I believe that she deleted her temporary internet files (location of the suspect file) last night.  Based upon the advice here, she scheduled a boot-time scan this morning before leaving for work.  (She is using XP Home and Avast Home.)

I may not know the results until later this evening.  Even if it is clear, I will have her run some online scans, as well as A-Squared Free.

I just realized that I should have posted in the "Viruses and Worms" forum.  I forget that it is there since this is the only forum that I normally visit here.  If someone has the ability to move this to the proper forum, that would be great.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »
One of the moderators will hopefully move it if they happen to notice it.

Until later then.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike Buxton

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
Potataman,

I am happy to admit that you were more right than me on this occasion.

Vladimyr,

I have no doubt katerina has welcomed your helpful advice and I wish her success.

DavidR,

As I have W98SE the scheduled boot scan option is greyed out and I also misinterpreted what I had read about scheduling in the Free version so I would like to record my thanks for your full explanation.

My regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
You're welcome.

PotatoMan

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
Potataman,

I am happy to admit that you were more right than me on this occasion.

Vladimyr,

I have no doubt katerina has welcomed your helpful advice and I wish her success.

DavidR,

As I have W98SE the scheduled boot scan option is greyed out and I also misinterpreted what I had read about scheduling in the Free version so I would like to record my thanks for your full explanation.

My regards

As of right now, I officially respect you.

Hopefully from this period on, we can stay on the same page.

Katarina:
I should have asked you what your OS was before I told you to run a boot time scan. I am sorry for this.

Hoping this is not too serious :D

Mike Buxton

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
PotatoMan,

I joined in the other post thinking your mood that day was unreasonably rude and arrogant - well I am pleased to reciprocate by saying my opinion of you has improved beyond recognition.

Most importantly, with your help, hopefully katarina will have solved her daughter's problem.

Also. importantly to me, I now understand two aspects of Avast as regards the Free version and 98SE.

My regards to all

katarina

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 09:20:13 PM »
Mike Buxton and PotatoMan ...

I am pleased to see that the two of you have had a meeting of the minds and reached a place of mutual respect.  That will go a long way in your establishment as valued members of this community. 

PotatoMan ... it still remains to be seen whether my daughter really has a problem or not, but I do appreciate your directing me (her) to the boot-time scan.  In the years that I have used Avast! I haven't had a need to use it before.  I was too tired last night to search the forums to find the standard advice for a situation such as this.  Thank you for saving me a little time and frustration.

On another note, I would like to say how refreshing it is to participate in a forum where the novice users aren't ridiculed and criticized for not having found answers on their own, using the search feature.  Many of us are in a state of panic when something pops up and cannot think clearly enough at the time to be self-sufficient.  My hat is off to all the helpers who treat us with respect and compassion.   :)

PotatoMan

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Mike Buxton and PotatoMan ...

I am pleased to see that the two of you have had a meeting of the minds and reached a place of mutual respect.  That will go a long way in your establishment as valued members of this community. 

PotatoMan ... it still remains to be seen whether my daughter really has a problem or not, but I do appreciate your directing me (her) to the boot-time scan.  In the years that I have used Avast! I haven't had a need to use it before.  I was too tired last night to search the forums to find the standard advice for a situation such as this.  Thank you for saving me a little time and frustration.

On another note, I would like to say how refreshing it is to participate in a forum where the novice users aren't ridiculed and criticized for not having found answers on their own, using the search feature.  Many of us are in a state of panic when something pops up and cannot think clearly enough at the time to be self-sufficient.  My hat is off to all the helpers who treat us with respect and compassion.   :)

Thank you on your kindness and good words, believe me, it is very appreciated.

I understand how you feel when a warning comes up and you have no clue what to do, its OK, a lot of people feel the same way.

I am also very happy with how calm and helpful you have been during this situation.

JS.Redirector information: http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/virusenc/virusencinfo.htm?VirusName=Trojan:JS/Redirector.N

Excellent Virus Removal Program

Malwarebytes Antimalware (RECOMMENDED
www.malwarebytes.org

Mozilla Firefox (A safer, faster browser than Internet Explorer) (RECOMMENDED)
www.mozilla.com

Please post back the results of the boot time scan.

Best Reguards,
David (PotatoMan)

wyrmrider

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Mike
we w98SE users can run avast in safe mode
almost same o same o

Looks like F-protect is dropping W98 support and DOS support is gone
anyone know of a current DOS scanner
NTFS file users - do not try this at home

katarina

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 03:15:18 AM »
When my daughter got home, the boot-time scan had finished and her normal windows log in screen was displayed.

If the boot-time scan had encountered a problem, would it have stopped and waited for user input before continuing?  Or ... does she need to go looking for the results to see if there was a problem?