Author Topic: Avast hangs while scanning  (Read 9726 times)

Nodge

Avast hangs while scanning
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »
I've got version 4.8 Home Edition and when I do a full scan I get to 28% (587290 files) and then Avast just hangs. There is no disk activity and I've left it for over an hour but nothing. Happened the last 2 times in a row.  The first time it stopped at a file in the C:\Recyclers directory but this time there was no file indicated. After the first time I emptied the Recycle bin and deleted all temporary files but no diffence (except for the number of files scanned before it stopped).

Any ideas?

John

PotatoMan

Re: Avast hangs while scanning
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »
I've got version 4.8 Home Edition and when I do a full scan I get to 28% (587290 files) and then Avast just hangs. There is no disk activity and I've left it for over an hour but nothing. Happened the last 2 times in a row.  The first time it stopped at a file in the C:\Recyclers directory but this time there was no file indicated. After the first time I emptied the Recycle bin and deleted all temporary files but no diffence (except for the number of files scanned before it stopped).

Any ideas?

John

Can you make a log of your next scan and post the last 200-250 lines here??

Nodge

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

Can you make a log of your next scan and post the last 200-250 lines here??

Sorry, not quite sure how to do that. I've looked at the log options in Avast and they seem to relate to programme updates and the like. There may be a couple of lines in the "Warning" section relating to the last scan if a virus was found but certainly not hundreds of lines. Just how exactly do I do what you are asking for?

John

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

C:\Recyclers
Is strange, I mean, with a 's' at the end...
The best things in life are free.

Nodge

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
Ok, thanks Tech. I'll leave it running tonight and report back in the morning. Avast doesn't "disappear" though - it just stops. I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it as it's stopped responding. Don't know if this will affect the creation of the log file. I'll find out in the morning.

C:|Recyclers was a typo, should have neen without the s on the end.

John

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
I'll find out in the morning.
Well be here to help ;)

Nodge

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
Ok, it stopped again after 590135 files.

I have attached the last part of the scan report but I suspect it's the last line that's relevant so I''m just pasting in the last few lines here ...

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1202660629-602162358-725345543-1007\Dc712.exe\{app}\fmod.dll
  • is OK

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1202660629-602162358-725345543-1007\Dc712.exe\{app}\Narbacular Drop.exe
  • is OK

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1202660629-602162358-725345543-1007\Dc712.exe
  • is OK

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
  • is OK

I suspect the last line means something. It might be worth adding that I've added an external usb drive since the last time I run a sucessful scan. Is it possible Avast has got to the end of the C drive and is having trouble switching over to the external drive? Avast was set to just scan local drives.

Also, How does Avast calculate the percentage completed? Is it the number of files checked against the total number of files on the system?

Thanks

John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:55:53 AM by Nodge »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
I need help from Igor...

Lyverbe

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:04:34 PM »
Just create a forum account to report that I've got the same problem pretty much at the same place.  I updated my database this morning and Avast started freezing in the Recycler folder.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
I believe it's the "usual" ZoneAlarm problem.
Putting the troublesome file into the list of exclusions should help (the name, if I remember correctly, is C:\System Volume Information\tracking.log).

And no, I don't think the problem can appear by a database update...

Lyverbe

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »
That works for me.  Thanks :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:45:34 AM »
I believe it's the "usual" ZoneAlarm problem.
How did you discover it? Which are the symptoms?