Author Topic: Possible False Positive: Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst  (Read 10107 times)

aminimoose

Possible False Positive: Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Avast 4.8 detected a file on my computer saying that it's a trojan. I ran the file called SHPsoBB.exe through VT and got 12/36 positives. This file has not caused problems for me in the past, but seems to have cropped up again after I upgraded to Vista Home Premium.

VT Results here: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/0ef5f77ff501bc84b390ad4f1048f6ad

Since the file comes from a private server for the game, is there anything I can do besides pause the standard shield when I want to run the game, then restart it? I can't seem to figure out the exclusions list.

I did scan the file in the chest, and it still showed the positive.

Any help would be great, I'm tired of fighting the program just to play a game.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Possible False Positive: Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:33:26 PM »
I can't seem to figure out the exclusions list.
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

This link is a tutorial on how to help correct a virus detection that you believe to be false:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.msg204838#msg204838
or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7779.msg62586#msg62586

After all, I'm no sure it's a false positive though... the 12 detections are quite suspicious to say the file is clean...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
I don't think because it hasn't been a problem in the past is any guarantee as signatures are constantly added and modified in the generic signatures.

With 12/36 detections I would normally say this is confirmation enough, but virtually all the detections are heuristic (suspicious) or Generic (-gen .gen) there is certainly a case to send it for further analysis.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and possible false positive in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

I would certainly consider contacting the game maker and point out the VT results URL as some thing is considered suspicious enough to alert in many AVs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aminimoose

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
Thanks for walking me through the exclusions.
I only brought this up because I downloaded the file sometime ago and it started spazzing out at me a couple days ago, after I upgraded my computer to Home Premium.

I will talk about this to the administrators of the server about this though. Generating that many suspicions about the file (it's an auto-updater) is suspicious to me as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

It is most certainly worth submitting the sample for further analysis as generic and heuristic detections are more prone to false detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jtaylor83

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
Only 11 detections. GData uses two engines: avast! and BitDefender.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
Effectively makes for the same stats if you remove on from the detections you have to remove one from the scanner totals so 11/35 which is why I didn't bother as it would still need further analysis.

aminimoose

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »
Ok, talked to the admins on the private server where I got the file.

The file re-directs from the original game server (which went down in March for the US) to the private server, this is probably why avast picks up on it and sounds the alarm. The admins for the server say that the file is ok, just hacked on purpose so people can play on the private server for the game.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
You're welcome.

If you haven't submitted the file to avast you should, so they can see what is being done in the file, they may take the decision it isn't possibly malicious.

Though were I the developers seeing the virustotal results from multiple scanners I would be looking at a way to resolve the problem, not simply say the file is OK, but just hacked to serve a malign purpose.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:34:56 PM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
The admins for the server say that the file is ok
They should convince all the antivirus manufactures then...
The best things in life are free.