Author Topic: Does Avast have this option?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline N@URINE

Does Avast have this option?
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »
Hello !
I want to know if there's the options of blocking flash memory or so, to be opened until it's scanned?
thank you in advance
NourinE

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Does Avast have this option?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »
The on-access scanner scans every file before you, ehm, access it, and it doesn't matter if it's on a hard drive, network drive, flash drive or anything else.

If you're asking if avast is making a full scan of the whole drive though, then the answer is No, and I don't think that would be a good idea anyway (depending on the size of the drive and the number/size of files stored, it may take a lot of time).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »
thank you VLk for your reply, now I feel more safe with Avast  :)
NourinE

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »
NourinE, you can also test USBVirusScan that will launch any program you provide as a command line parameter each time a USB stick is inserted. I use it to start a full virus scan on the inserted USB drive: http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/

The command-line that worked for me is:
"<path>\USBVirusScan.exe" -c -i "<path>\avast4\ashQuick.exe" x:

Where you need to change the <paths> for the both correct ones and the x: for the letter of your USB drive.
The best things in life are free.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:29:03 AM »
thank you Tech.
I'll try

NourinE, you can also test USBVirusScan that will launch any program you provide as a command line parameter each time a USB stick is inserted. I use it to start a full virus scan on the inserted USB drive: http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/

The command-line that worked for me is:
"<path>\USBVirusScan.exe" -c -i "<path>\avast4\ashQuick.exe" x:

Where you need to change the <paths> for the both correct ones and the x: for the letter of your USB drive.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:40:37 AM by NourinE »
NourinE

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:20 AM »
I don't understand well, this USBVirsusScan.
I wonder if you could possibly explain more about USBVirusScan.
My OS is install in C and my USB DRIVE is G.
NourinE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
This works for me
<Path to where the file is>\USBVirusScan.exe" -c "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" /target %%c:

The %%c: is a place holder a little like a picture frame, you can change pictures in the frame. This works in a similar way, because you have many USB ports and could have more than one USB storage device installed the drive letter could change, the %%c: place holder recognises that and inserts the correct drive letter (so you don't have to change the code in your command line).

I have my commandline in a batch file, text file given the name vscanusb.bat and before I insert a usb device I run the batch file. You could add it to the startup folder so it runs and starts the program on boot, something I find unnecessary as I don't use a usb drive every day and I would only scan those usb drives not in my control or if they had been connected to another untrusted system. The vscan program must obviously be running before a usb is inserted.

There are other links off that didierstevens.com link that Tech gave that contain more information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »
I wonder if you could possibly explain more about USBVirusScan.
http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/
Your command line should be:
"<path>\USBVirusScan.exe" -c -i "<path>\avast4\ashQuick.exe" g:
The best things in life are free.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
many thanks DavidR, Tech and Vlk. I really like this forum because of you.
I will to try understand well the content of the link that Tech posted and apply what you all posted.
NourinE