Author Topic: what firewall and spy removal software should I use with Avast?  (Read 9651 times)

linh

what firewall and spy removal software should I use with Avast?
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:33:41 AM »
Hi,
Please let me know what firewall and spy removal software I should use to accompany Avast.
Thank you.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: what firewall and spy removal software should I use with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
It's your choice. Avast works well with a lot of the AS and firewall applications.
Do you want a resident antispyware, or demand scanner?
2 way firewall, or prefer to use the Windows firewall?

A fairly common security lineup includes 1 (and only 1) antivirus, 1 (and only 1) software firewall, and 2 or 3 demand antispyware scanners. AS scanners that have a good reputation include Superantispyware, MalwareBytesAntimalware, a2 (a squared), Spybot S&D, these are free, or have a free version. If you want to pay there's a few more choices.

Two way firewalls that seem popular include Comodo, Online Armour, ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or PCTools
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »
Hi...

SpywareBlaster is also a good choice....

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Best Regards... :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cvsa

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
I use Comodo V3 and MBAM (Malwarebyte)  ;)

simonboddy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
I use Spyware Terminator because it has real time protection, scheduled scanning and it is free! :)

dallas7

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
I use Spyware Terminator with ClamAV enabled, Comodo Memory Firewall and Comodo BOClean as well as Windows Firewall.  No problems.  In fact all those were running when I updated to Avast .1282

I found Spyware Terminator to be extremely intrusive and so under "Shields Settings" I now run everything disabled except for HIPS, WinSock Shield and ClamAV Guard.  ST is very quiet now.   8)

Be aware that at this point in time ThreatFire 4.x has major conflicts with Avast's Web Shield provider.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »
My set up is light on resources, user friendly & has never let me down. :)  All are FREE:)

avast! Home Edition (has built in real-time antispyware in it's single engine antivirus)

OpenDNS

Opera

WinPatrol

ZoneAlarm Free

On Demand

SuperAntiSpyware Free

ESET Online Scanner (requires IE :'( )

Nosnibor

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:39 PM »
I highly recommend COMODO "Firewall w Defence +" and COMODO "Memory Firewall" and COMODO "Verification Engine"

Only ONE Firewall should be used as problems MAY occure if you use more than one.

http://www.comodo.com/

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:47:13 PM by Nosnibor »

RonE

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
Dallas7 reports above that there are major issues between Avast and ThreatFire...

What kind of compatibility issues are there?  I have been running Avast 4.8.1229 and ThreatFire 4.0.0.8 together on XP SP3 for a few months and have not encountered any incompatibility issues.

Styx

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
Very few users need more than the Windows Firewall - START - type in Firewall and select
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. You can also use START - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS
if you have that set to display on the start menu.

Most 3rd party firewalls add little while causing a lot of grief. If you need more firewall than comes
with Vista get a router with one built-in. If you still need more then buy a professional one not
some 30-50$ nuisance like most 3rd party ones are.

MalWare Bytes
SuperAntiSpyware
SpyBot Search and Destroy
AdAware
WinPatrol
Spware Blaster

I have all of these set as On Demand Scanning and have their automatic features turned off.

Windows Defender is ON.

For Avast I use Standard Shield, Network Shield, Internet Mail Shield, and Web Shield.
I do not use P2P programs, no Outlook or Exchange here, nor Instant Messaging though
I would turn these on if needed.

mikeinmexico

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
Be very careful using Online Armour firewall with Avast. See my other post on the conflict.