Author Topic: I'm reading my hotmail e-mails using thunderbird. Does internet mail scan them?  (Read 5256 times)

flik

Hi. I really like avast and the forum too. Trying to make avast as lighter as I can, I was wondering if internet mail is necessery when using hotmail. I know that avast doesn't scan gmail, but I don't know if the same happens with @hotmail.com or @windowslive.com.
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It does depend on how you are getting them into Thunderbird (add-on I presume, which one) as normally hotmail uses a converter that doesn't comply with  POP3 protocol and as such wouldn't be scanned by avast's Internet Mail provider.

However, you can check if it is being scanned, check:
a) the avast icon it should be rotating when something is being scanned (including email)
b) there is normally an extra email icon on the system try when email is being downloaded (see image)
c) check the Last scanned: and Scanned count: fields in the Internet Mail provider that will show what has been scanned
d) you can check the email headers if avast has scanned it then there should be an x-antivirus entry in the header.

I don't use hotmail or thunderbird so I can't say for sure but there is enough for you to check if it is being scanned or not. Hopefully Alan will notice this as he is much more familiar with the email intricacies.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

flik

Thanks. Yes, I am using webmail extension, and internet mail doesn't scan them. I know that gmail and hotmail offer virus checking. Is this reliable; I use only hotmail and gmail, so, if avast can't scan them, I won't have any qualms if I should disable Internet mail.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
To get avast to scan the Hotmail received through the Webmail extensions of Thunderbird:

Internet Mail provider > Customize > Redirect tab > Uncheck the "Ignore local communication" box > OK

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Gmail won't be scanned as it uses SSL/TLS secure encrypted email (unless you use something like the STunnel interface) to keep prying eyes out including AVs.

Thanks Alan for the input on the webmail extension.

I wouldn't terminate the Internet Mail, I would go a step further and set the Sensitivity to High. If none of your email accounts are actually scanned it won't take up much in the way of resources, but with it set to High it has heuristic checking that can detect multiple identical email in a period of time. This could be your first indication that there is an undetected or hidden spambot on your system sending out email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Just as a "by the way" GMail received through the Webmail extensions of Thunderbird will also be scanned by avast (with the Internet Mail provider setting given above). 

Not a recommendation - just information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks Alan I didn't know you could do that for gmail through thunderbird and webmail.