Author Topic: Hmm.. Stop Scan on virus detection?  (Read 6473 times)

Vorpal86

Hmm.. Stop Scan on virus detection?
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
Hello folks. Been using AVG for a long while, since like 2001 but it seems slower and thought I'd try avast for a while. My question is; In the settings, how do you disable the automatic stopping of a scan if a virus is found? See, I wanted to scan my whole comp over night, but after 6 hours of scanning, I noticed the scan found a threat, but stopped after like 30%, and just sit idle the rest of the night. I thought it would be finished by then but it stopped.

I just need to know how to set it up so that even if a threat is found, I can make avast continue the scan without interruptions and have the threat handle accordingly. I'd appreciate any help. I never had any problems with AVG, up until V8, it then became bulky, and updates started failing here recently, and it just seems AVG is starting to get bloated like Norton. So, that's why I'm here.

Thanks! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hmm.. Stop Scan on virus detection?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

Unlike AVG 8.0 the avast free version isn't crippled in its scanning processes, it has virtually all the avast Pro processes with exception of the Script Blocker and a more convenient automated processes and configuration in the Enhanced User Interface. Avast Home V Avast Pro differences http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar virus test file at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Vorpal86

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
OK. Thanks. I don't remember seeing that option when the virus popped up unless I just missed it. I'll get that fake virus and see what happens then after I start the scan.... Done. We'll see what happens tonight when I scan again. i stopped the scan last time at 30%. I hadn't really had many virus problems over the last few years though. I keep my work and surfing from danger. :)

Thanks DavidR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
You're welcome.

It isn't a fake virus, but an anti-virus test file, it has an agreed signature that all AVs detect and its purpose is to test that your anti-virus is working and alarms when the AV scans it. We are just using it for a more creative purpose ;D

The biggest issue is what folder to place it in so it doesn't have to scan lots of folders/files before you get the alert and can set the 'don't show' and click 'no action' and get to bed, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

uklutzu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
Hello folks I need your help.

I am using the Avast! 4 Professional Edition 4.8.1201

However I still cannot finish the thorough scan automatically.

I also get that annoyin malware/trojan found message asking me to take action immediately.

I want the scanner to show me all infected files after the scan not before.

How do I get this done ?

Please help. Thanks in advance

PS
I think Avast is better than BitDefender in many ways and I was using that prior to Avast.
But I need help to sort this annoyance out !

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »

Your avast is out of date. You should update to 4.8.1335 as soon as possible.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
This is possible only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 04:31:41 AM »
Hello folks I need your help.

I am using the Avast! 4 Professional Edition 4.8.1201

I also get that annoyin malware/trojan found message asking me to take action immediately.

I want the scanner to show me all infected files after the scan not before.

How do I get this done ?

Please help. Thanks in advance

PS
I think Avast is better than BitDefender in many ways and I was using that prior to Avast.
But I need help to sort this annoyance out !

-= open avast in enhanced interface then go to tasks folder.. Rightclick then create a new task.. on the task, tick the advanced checkbox at the lower left.. then on the left pane.. click virus.. there you'll see a phrase saying choose an action.. click remove last word then, click the phrase you want to add, more preferably, "repair if failed move to chest if failed interactive"

-= Hope it helps.. God bless..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1