Author Topic: Another malware plug-in for Firefox: posing as e-book!  (Read 9884 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Another malware plug-in for Firefox: posing as e-book!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
I do not use FireFox and therefore, only wanted to know simple answers to the simple question as to why those who use it like it so well when so much more is needed to keep safe. I do not remember asking for comments against FireFox or for why other browsers are used. I never asked "what is your favorite browser and why."

So much more is needed to keep it safe? Firefox is identical to IE in what is needed to keep it safe: don't get infected by a Trojan, and don't install untrusted add-ons, toolbars or extensions.

I never asked "what is your favorite browser and why."

So why did we get two people posting about how much they love IE8, and another posting some trash about people only using Firefox because they hate microsoft?

Please keep threads about Firefox malware on topic.

The topic is Firefox malware.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »
Frank,

while I think your request is sound I suspect is also p*ssing into the wind. 

This is like the wars of religion.  I fear that we (forgive the term since you are one of younger amongst us) older folks are simply engaged in the timeless child's response of "mine is better than yours is".  No wonder our generation is just as unable to sort out the problems of the world as those who went before ... we are all just as gullible and simple as they were.

I think that darth_mikey summed it up pretty well. We are, most of us, trying to dress up our personal likes (and dislikes) in some cloak of technical approval (or disapproval) based on the latest truth (or hype) we read in the forum that caters to and promotes our personal preference.

I use Firefox because I prefer it over IE.  That is my choice.  I support folks who prefer Firefox, I support folks who prefer IE - and since I am unpaid by both sets ... I will let others finish as they may.         

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 07:17:53 AM »
Lets just say ALL browsers have their problems. It doesn't matter which you like, so lets just keep watching each others back when it comes to Malware OK?
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

doomer

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 07:22:19 AM »
Lets just say ALL browsers have their problems. It doesn't matter which you like, so lets just keep watching each others back when it comes to Malware OK?

Yeah, I like this idea.

And please, it would be nice if we keep the threads entitled "Stop using IE7 for good" to a minimum.

I am getting very tired of those.

If you decide IE is best, use it. If you decide FireFox is best, use it.
The same is true about Opera. We should be fighting malware here, not split into Microsoft/Mozilla camps which is what has been happening lately.

In the end, 98.79% of the PC problems arise due to the end-user. Even if you give them a browser from the 24th century, it will be useless, if they give out all their passwords, the first time someone asks them to.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:45:28 AM by doomer »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
In the same spirit ... let's skip characterizing other forum members as "anti-Microsoft".  It is useless, it is counter-productive and it does nothing to forward a thread or build forum community.

TheSpirit

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 08:47:17 AM »

I didn't mean to start a fight with my question.   :(

I just wanted a simple answer from those who like FireFox so well.

Thanks to those who give answers to the question I asked.   :)

Seriously, if you want to know about Firefox, you should read the mozillaZine forums for a few months!

Interesting that so many browser discussions take place here. ;) I can't think of any other security forum that takes IE seriously. Using those two words in the same sentence is normally considered a joke.  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
Hi folks,

No-one said to stop this browser or that browser, and never I have read here an advice to stop using one for good. Big crap.
Let us establish the facts as they are. There is no secure browser existing and until now it has not been invented and I say it won't be invented for a long time or some people should start eating their hats.
If you wanna see how browsers are secured and where their security differ go and read the Google Browser Security Handbook, Michaeł Zalewski sure knows what he is talking about:
http://code.google.com/p/browsersec/wiki/Main
If I cannot use Firefox or Flock or GoogleChrome or what have you for some time because of a gaping hole, I do not use that browser. If I cannot use IE4, IE5, IE6, IE7 or IE8 beta on Windows because of a vulnerability that has not been tackled, I do not use that browser for that period (or only to get my essential MS downloads with as I use it for now, and to go and experience content that other browsers render poorly which I sometimes have to, happily MS bends some rules so I can enjoy that browser experience- in some ways they cannot be beaten and beat all competition).
One thing you should understand that browsers were not build with security in mind - browsers should be easy on the user and deliver data unto certain desks at the end of the day. If browsers would be built with security in mind Giorgio Maone's NoScript extension would both run by default inside all browsers, silently in the background. That is the situation we have at hand,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!