Author Topic: Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts only in A-Squared Anti-Malware  (Read 7834 times)

ahhnoo

Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts only in A-Squared Anti-Malware
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
Hello all, hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve and continue a greater new year.

I installed the trial of a-squared anti-malware, and when I scan I get these. I think the codemaster is a false positive, but I keep getting the funwebproducts on almost every scan BUT ONLY WITH A-SQUARE. Is that a false positive? I tried posting on a-square's forum, but it was the first time and I don't know if they have as good of customer service. Please help with any idea.

a-squared Anti-Malware - Version 4.0
Last update: 1/2/2009 5:59:24 PM

Scan settings:

Objects: Memory, Traces, Cookies
Scan archives: On
Heuristics: On
ADS Scan: On

Scan start:   1/2/2009 6:06:33 PM

c:\program files\codemasters    detected: Trace.Directory.Bliss Island!A2
c:\documents and settings\userone\start menu\programs\codemasters    detected: Trace.Directory.Bliss Island!A2
Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179}    detected: Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts

Scanned

Files:    1783
Traces:    586181
Cookies:    7
Processes:    38

Found

Files:    0
Traces:    3
Cookies:    0
Processes:    0
Registry keys:    0

Scan end:   1/2/2009 6:08:20 PM
Scan time:   0:01:47

ahhnoo

Re: Trace.Registry.FunWebProducts only in A-Squared Anti-Malware
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51:16 AM »
I found trace.registry.funwebproducts in quick scan.

ahhnoo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:12:39 AM »
What is this HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179? I know what are HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. But what is clsid? What is 9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179? I CANNOT FIND THEM IN THE REGISTRY. I HOPE IT WASN'T AN IMPORTANT ROOT, lol.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »
For many a-squared never found much and some of that was false positive detections, personally I don't rate it very much there are better tools.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.

Both of those are on-demand scanners, so no resident cover and if that is a reason of going for a-squared then again there are others which are better, item 1 above or 2, have a paid for pro version one off small payment but for a free option, see 3. below.

3. Spyware Terminator Resident scanner (if you use this don't install the toolbar or crawler or the anti-virus module).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahhnoo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 04:21:13 AM »
Thanks for a quick response reply. I do have the COMODO search bar, and its seach is with ask.com, but I got it for the safe surf feature. But I did some research and found that, due to most evidence I could collect, it is a false positive, and comes from COMODO's addon search toolbar. I installed it for the safe surf feature. I am interested in Spyware Terminator, but why is it suggested not to install toolbar or crawler or anti-virus module?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
I am interested in Spyware Terminator, but why is it suggested not to install toolbar or crawler or anti-virus module?
Most of us do not like another toolbar that promises to do what the other toolbars do not...
It's not necessary, you can use other tools for that.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
I am interested in Spyware Terminator, but why is it suggested not to install toolbar or crawler or anti-virus module?

Well Crawler has had previous bad form for collecting data for marketing and to serve ads, that is normally achieved through the toolbar. This is not to dissimilar with a number of other supposed helpful toolbars, they want something in return and that is usually marketing information. I'm not a fan of more clutter in the form of toolbars, most new browsers have plenty of functionality without the need for additional toolbars.

The bit about an AV is simple, although this is supposed to be an on-demand AV scanner it would still have to load services to achieve that. I don't feel it is necessary and just making sure there is no possible conflict with avast, possibly a little too much.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security