Author Topic: Is my installation of Avast okay?  (Read 4066 times)

Libra

Is my installation of Avast okay?
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:06:13 AM »
Hi.
 I have Windows 98se.  I removed AVG 7.5, rebooted and installed AVAST 4.8.1296.

I chose "typical install" which said the install was successful.  I rebooted when prompted.

ZoneAlarm prompted me for Distributed COM server service and I denied it.  I was prompted for ashserv.exe and avastsetup.exe which I allowed for "trusted and internet access".

The following problems were corrected by an additional reboot:

I noticed that in Simple User Interface it said Resident was DISABLED.  In that area I changed it to Standard, but it still did not run.

When I highlight the blue "a" ball, it says "Avast - on access scanner: 0 provider(s) total 0 running!  I clicked on start, but it didn't.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I did receive one prompt from ZA for the webscanner and was able to start a scan and it updated.

In view of these problems, I would like to know if Avast is running properly.  I think it is, but would like confirmation.  The only item showing up in the c/a/d box is ashwebsv.exe.  Ashserv.exe and ashwebsv.exe are both checked in msconfig.

Does this seem right for a Windows 98se computer?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:21:27 PM by Libra »

Libra

Avast installation
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:30 AM »
I consolidated my question into the first post.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:25:41 PM by Libra »

Libra

Re: HELP! I just installed AVAST 4.8.1296 and it's NOT running
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:33 AM »
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it is correct that the only Avast item running in the c/a/d box is Ashwebsv.exe in Windows 98se?

I ask this because our XPsp2 computer has 4 processes running (ashwebsv.exe, ashserv.exe, ashupdsv.exe and ashdisp.exe).

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Is my installation of Avast okay?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
It's not correct. I'm pretty sure that after a Standard Install there should be 6 of 7 Providers running on a 98SE PC. (I have installed only Standard Shield and Internet Mail by choice on my Win95 machine.) I expected that someone with 98SE and avast! would have answered by now but I'll give it a go.  :)

Did you uninstall AVG by running the latest AVG 7.5 installer? (Like AVG recommend.)

There is also a uninstall tool. I assume it works for both 7.5 & 8.X

Uninstall avast!. Use the avast! uninstall tool to make sure everything is cleaned up. Uninstall ZA and reboot. Reinstall avast! and make sure it's working fine before reinstalling ZA.

Hope it works!

Note: The on-access Standard Shield (AVG Resident Shield equivalent) is ASHSERV.EXE but it isn't displayed in the Windows 9X Task Manager (CAD). You'll need something like an old version of Sysinternals Process Explorer for 9X, to see if it's loaded. Other components ("Providers"), e.g. ASHMAISV.EXE, ASHWEBSV.EXE do show up in the list when you press CAD.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Libra

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »
Thank you so much for your response.  Based on the information you provided I think Avast is running properly on my computer.  I used process explorer and it showed Ashserv.exe and Ashwebsv.exe both running.

I then downloaded the eicar.com and eicar double zipped file and both were detected when I scanned them, and I found an eicar download site here that set off the webshield.

In answer to your questions I had used the latest AVG install file to remove my version of AVG.  (AVG's removal tool only works for AVG 8.)

When I rebooted my computer the second time after installing Avast, the 6 providers showed up.  I have 3 running right now.

Thank you again for your help.  I appreciate it.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »
Glad it helped.

(AVG's removal tool only works for AVG 8.)

Ah! I've learnt something. Did you try it yourself or did someone at AVG tell you?

When I rebooted my computer the second time after installing Avast, the 6 providers showed up.  I have 3 running right now.

Based only on what is now long-term memory, I think you should have 5 of 6 providers running just after boot-up (I can't tell because I don't have a "spare" 98 PC to check with).
The Network Shield only works with NT/2000/XP/Vista. Which are loaded but not running?

Libra

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 05:47:09 AM »
I never tried the AVG removal tool because I read about it in their forum and then read that it only applied to version 8.

When I installed Avast a wizard guided me through setting up internet mail - but I canceled it.  When my processes finally showed up after the second reboot, I had 5 of the 6 providers running.  There is no network shield even listed among the providers.  I'm glad you're confirming that.

I don't think Windows 98se has the Avast defense (anyway I don't) because when I open "troubleshooting" all of the items are greyed out except for the first.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »
I never tried the AVG removal tool because I read about it in their forum and then read that it only applied to version 8.
Thanks.

I don't think Windows 98se has the Avast defense (anyway I don't) because when I open "troubleshooting" all of the items are greyed out except for the first.
That's right. Self defense, Anti-Rootkit, Network Shield, Startup DLL Scanning, are not compatible with non-NT-based OS.

Libra

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:33:52 AM »
Thank you for explaining that Vladimyr.  I appreciate your help.

Sincerely, Libra