Author Topic: (SOLVED) Trustedinstaller.exe  (Read 97960 times)

TazManiac09

Re: (SOLVED) Trustedinstaller.exe
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »

This is a question to "TazOrama"  you said:
"Placing the file in its folder was a bit tricky, but now my updates work again!! "

How did you do that ?

Oh this was a while back so lets see what i can remember. Basically you need to:
1- Log in as an Administrator

2- Disable User Account Control (UAC)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

3- Give your account Full control of the directory
[right click the folder servicing>properties>security>Edit>Administrators(***/Administrators)>check all the Allow boxes>OK>OK]

4- Take Control AWAY from SYSTEM And Trusted Installer
[right click the folder servicing>properties>security>Edit>SYSTEM>uncheck the first two boxes>Trusted Installer>uncheck the first two boxes>OK>OK]

5- Make sure you uncheck the read only box if it is checked or has a blue square in it
[right click the folder servicing>Properties>General>Uncheck read only box>OK]

I recommend you undo all these after you successfully place the file in the folder.

If this doesn't work, try googling the error message you get when you try to place trustedinstaller.exe in the servicing directory. OR post the error message so we can google it for you  ;D

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:37:31 AM »
If I put the trustinstaller again in the servicing folder, its entry in "services" will be restored?
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:03 AM »
If I put the trustinstaller again in the servicing folder, its entry in "services" will be restored?
Hmmm... the entries in "services" are controled, as far I know, by Windows Registry and not by files in that folder... ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
Hmmm... the entries in "services" are controled, as far I know, by Windows Registry and not by files in that folder... ::)

So I have to restore the registry entry too or maybe it was not deleted. Anyone know how i can verify it? I dont want to install windows again and i can't use the system restore because the problem appears before the old restore point.

TazManiac09

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

yes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
If TazManiac09 is right, I am wrong... Sorry, not experience in this field.
The best things in life are free.

moocifer

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
Oh this was a while back so lets see what i can remember. Basically you need to:
1- Log in as an Administrator

2- Disable User Account Control (UAC)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

3- Give your account Full control of the directory
[right click the folder servicing>properties>security>Edit>Administrators(***/Administrators)>check all the Allow boxes>OK>OK]

4- Take Control AWAY from SYSTEM And Trusted Installer
[right click the folder servicing>properties>security>Edit>SYSTEM>uncheck the first two boxes>Trusted Installer>uncheck the first two boxes>OK>OK]

5- Make sure you uncheck the read only box if it is checked or has a blue square in it
[right click the folder servicing>Properties>General>Uncheck read only box>OK]

I recommend you undo all these after you successfully place the file in the folder.

If this doesn't work, try googling the error message you get when you try to place trustedinstaller.exe in the servicing directory. OR post the error message so we can google it for you  ;D

What do you do if you get "Access Denied" at Stage-3 above despite being logged in on your Admin/Only account ??  (Yes I have restarted PC after Stage-2)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 03:57:09 AM »
???

TANGO!

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
I got the "access denied" message at stage 3, so I opened a command prompt and used the command takeown -f c:\windows\servicing which gave my administrator account ownership of the directory.  After that you follow the instructions the same way (right click, tick the top 2, etc.) and it will work.

I'm stuck a little after that though... I copied trustedinstaller.exe to the servicing dir but the registry doesn't recognize it, and I don't have a reg. backup.  How can I fix the registry now?  Someone help plz :/

jsfry

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 12:29:34 AM »
Check out this thread as this is the way I solved this same problem on my vista 64 system. 

http://www.vistareadygames.com/showthread.php?s=0b91bcaa34ece4d1c6dc266426fbe178&p=861588#post861588

Notice in the second post Flavius attaches a reg file with the registry keys necessary to get trustedinstaller running again if you have replaced the file in c:\windows\servicing and it still isn't updating for you.  Also, notice you have to reboot probably after importing the registry keys for trusted installer.  Make sure after reboot you have to check the "Windows Modules Installer" service (trustedinstaller.exe) is a service that is loaded (to do this go to "start" and type "services.msc" and a window will appear with all the services that are running: there should be "Windows Modules installer" running in "manual" mode .  Then I had to start that service manually.  AFter that all was fine - I could run windows update and it worked - 360mb of updates!

All the best,
Jeff

jmaes12345

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
I tried all of the ways described here and still got the access denied message, so the way I solved it was to burn a copy of the latest ubuntu release to a CD, boot from that and copy the file that you guys uploaded.

Thanks for all the help by the way, wouldn't have been able to fix this without it.

ChaosAurion

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
SO I just to the time to register and tell everyone in this topic that you're awesome because this fix worked. Had a little trouble finding the right x86 SP2 Download but I got it from MS, took control of the servicing folder, replaced it, refreshed my services, started it, ran SFC /Scannow in the CMD with no problem at all, and my computer is FINALLY updating! I BLOODY LOVE YOU!!!

I'm a pretty in-depth windows user and this one had me stumped for a few months now, glad I finally found someone's solution that worked for me.
Thank you gods of technology, I shall be returning here for future problems.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
Hello guys,

I have the same problem. My TrustedInstaller.exe isn't OK. I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. Could anybody with the same OS upload his trusted installer file and post a download link, please? Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
Hai jsfry,

Thanks for your help!! :) :D
I have replaced the file in c:\windows\servicing
But i cannot access the link which contains, reg file with the registry keys necessary to get trustedinstaller running again. :-[ :'(
This thread is not working:
http://www.vistareadygames.com/showthread.php?s=0b91bcaa34ece4d1c6dc266426fbe178&p=861588#post861588

Kindly reply with some other links please..!!

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
Specially registered to say THANK YOU ALL, who commit to this topic. I was so desperate that consider reinstalling windows, but you managed to save the day.  Spend 4 days trying to figure out why I can't install VC++ 2015, install *.msu packages so on, and finally come to  the source of problem -  absense of trustedinstaller.exe After manipulations I had 157 updates and in the end I managed to install VC++ 2015.  REALLY THANK YOU ALL, GONNA PRAY FOR YOU)