Author Topic: 2 troj-gen found- won't move to chest or clean/repair  (Read 17610 times)

puter illit

Re: 2 troj-gen found- won't move to chest or clean/repair
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »
@ puter illit
I'm at a loss as to what to suggest I haven't seen that in the time I have been on the forums (a while), what if you try Highlighting the file (not right click selection), but use the top menu, File, Scan, see image.

Files in the chest are encrypted so avast scans from outside the chest will not detect anything.

Personally I got rid of Adobe Reader a long time ago and haven't looked back, but for sure I wouldn't use adobe reader version 8.0 as there are many vulnerabilities that are being exploited, that you could be putting your system at risk. I would uninstall it and either get the latest version or a different application, but I wouldn't use a vulnerable version.

@ rob24
Honestly, the chest size can be 0=unlimited but if a file that you want to place in it is greater than the Maximum file size to send figure it won't work, so all I can put this down to is a happy coincidence.

Gee David I must be missing something  ::) Ok when I highlight it right click I get the same actions as if I used file or scan -
scan shows completed results
Scanning of selected files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to scan 1 selected file(s) in the Chest

Move files to temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\0000\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp104569735.tmp
FileID: 0000000006  Original file name: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe  New folder: C:\DOCUME~1\0000\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp104569735.tmp\6.exe

Scan files in the temporary folder: C:\DOCUME~1\0000\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp104569735.tmp
C:\DOCUME~1\0000\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp104569735.tmp\6.exe  -- no virus --
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed successfully!

So if running "scan" doesn't do anything - What does? Non of the taps show repair, clean only restore, refresh, send to,, extract etc. etc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 03:57:16 AM »
Yes you get the same actions, displayed when you use the File, but the key is you aren't using the right mouse button, so if you had anything wrong with context (right click function) selection that may not be present with the normal drop down left click selection.

I, sorry, I really am totally baffled as to what you are doing.

If I scan a file within the chest there is absolutely no interaction with the -avast4_ folder in temp and you shouldn't have to move them out of the chest to scan them.

Repair would only be an option if it were possible and I believe I have already said why that can't happen.

I'm calling it a night, almost 3am here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

puter illit

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 06:50:35 AM »
Yes you get the same actions, displayed when you use the File, but the key is you aren't using the right mouse button, so if you had anything wrong with context (right click function) selection that may not be present with the normal drop down left click selection.

If I scan a file within the chest there is absolutely no interaction with the -avast4_ folder in temp and you shouldn't have to move them out of the chest to scan them.

Repair would only be an option if it were possible and I believe I have already said why that can't happen.

That makes 2 of use, lol :D not to hard for me to be confused. Well whatever I've been doing I must have done something right inspite of myself, lol. Computer seems quieter, PF usage isn't working as hard even when CPU usage was very low, I'm tired and will deal with Adobe tomorrow either upgrade to 9 or opt for foxit.  Thanks guys for all your help! :-*

*Rob34* good luck, increasing both in the chest seemed to help move it to chest.

Offline rob24

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »

That makes 2 of use, lol :D not to hard for me to be confused. Well whatever I've been doing I must have done something right inspite of myself, lol. Computer seems quieter, PF usage isn't working as hard even when CPU usage was very low, I'm tired and will deal with Adobe tomorrow either upgrade to 9 or opt for foxit.  Thanks guys for all your help! :-*

*Rob34* good luck, increasing both in the chest seemed to help move it to chest.

Well I'm baffled as well now. I just had enough time today to do a boot scan and hey presto no virus. I don't understand. It can't have gone. I even went to one of the files it founfd before, scanned it on its own and clean! teh other file doesn't even show, not even in command prompt view. I'm beginning to wanter whether it was a false positive. Hmm. Need to make double sure though somehow. Try again later, meantime tirn system recovery back on.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
It is possible whilst we have all been dancing round various issues someone has sent the file to avast for analysis and it has been found to be a false positive. That would mean that a VPS Update would be released correcting this detection, if you have received this auto update then no more detection.

However that is now a moot point as the real issue shoud be getting rid of what is a vulnerable version of adobe reader 8 and get the latest version of a different pdf reader.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

puter illit

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »
It is possible whilst we have all been dancing round various issues someone has sent the file to avast for analysis and it has been found to be a false positive. That would mean that a VPS Update would be released correcting this detection, if you have received this auto update then no more detection.

However that is now a moot point as the real issue shoud be getting rid of what is a vulnerable version of adobe reader 8 and get the latest version of a different pdf reader.

Well, I took your advise and updated to Adobe 9,  8) My computer is a bit sensitive as I'm running 2 OS XP Pro/Vista Ultimate on the same hard drive 320 -7200RPM, and although It's supposed to keep programs seperate I noticed some seem to run on both i.e. avast, ccleaner etc. so I didn't want to uninstall adobe and opt for the new Foxit fearing it might cause more problems than it's worth as Adobe is linked to several programs

OK so here is my last question, lol. Last night I clicked to restore that file in the chest, it's still showing in infected folder, Should I just delete it now that I've updated to Adobe 9? :-\ or would that file also have been updated, and could I lose whatever it is? I am assuming not but you know what happens when you assume anything, so I figured better to ask ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
Well the two OSes should be entirely separate and you would effectively have to install programs on both as the information retained on where they are etc. is in their respective registries.

You can't uninstall all occurrences of a program from one OS as it can't remove the entries from the other OS registry, you have to run both OSes in turn and uninstall from both. Just one of the issues of running a dual boot/OS system.

Restore leaves a copy in the chest, ensure it is back in its original location and is it has been restored correctly then delete the one from the chest.

puter illit

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Well the two OSes should be entirely separate and you would effectively have to install programs on both as the information retained on where they are etc. is in their respective registries.

You can't uninstall all occurrences of a program from one OS as it can't remove the entries from the other OS registry, you have to run both OSes in turn and uninstall from both. Just one of the issues of running a dual boot/OS system.

Restore leaves a copy in the chest, ensure it is back in its original location and is it has been restored correctly then delete the one from the chest.

Thanks David, but I think I might have confused you with too much info for my question, lol
1st. When I installed the Adobe 9 it automaticly uninstalled 8.1.3 and over wrote it to 9, so I can't check it now anyway? But I wasn't sure if what is in the chest 8.0.1 is needed or if that too got upgraded to 9, I'm assuming not and the file is no longer needed??? That was my question.

2nd, I know each program has to be installed on each OS which I've done when first configuring it. But I have noticed like with Advast which I installed seperately on each, when I run it on XP Pro (which is what I use mainly) it scans both drives, same with c cleaner. As I've only switched once to Vista OS in the 5 months since duplicating programs on both drives I'm not sure what else is accessed or runs from the XP side. And as I'm not that techie I don't want to fiddle were I don't know what I'm doing and best left for the tech who configured it for me.

Again, that's for your suggestions, easy fix's I can handle.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
You're welcome.