Author Topic: Providers settings  (Read 5967 times)

crow

Providers settings
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
Hi
Standard ,P2P,Outlook Exchange,Network,and Web shields, are all set to normal protection by default.
My questions are :
1/Is there a reason why should I higher the level of protection in these shields?
2/ Is the system protected enough with these settings?

Thanking you in advance
Crow
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:27:21 AM by crow »

mevcit

Re: Providers settings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
When you use at normal level, Avast does not scan all file types and archive types, so this will cause some detection missings. For instance, if you download an mp3 file containing malware from a p2p application, Avast will not detect it, then you must manually scan the files you downloaded. When the protection level is set to high, all files and archive types are scanned but standard shield. At high level standard shield scans 4 types of the archive types in the list which contains 27 archive types in total (this list can be seen in the pro version). However, this is the ideal situation since the other shields scan all the archive types (at high level).

I do not know the difference for network shield, maybe there is no difference. :)

As a result I suggest you to use Avast resident protection with high level.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM by mevcit »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »
Adjusting the slider in the network shield, or P2P shields have no effect.

If you check the help file there is no information on changing sensitivity for P2P and a statement that it has no effect in the Network Shield. I believe it is more to do with aesthetics were they all look the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mevcit

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
Adjusting the slider in the network shield, or P2P shields have no effect.

Now Avast is not installed on my computer, so I cannot try to change the levels. But some time ago my friend said that Avast could not detect the viruses in mp3 files that come from p2p programs, then I set the level to high and after that it detected malicious ones when downloading. Also there must be some differences between normal and high levels on archive types to be scanned. To see the differences clearly, pro version is needed. ;D But I'll check the settings when I get a chance to use the pro version. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
If you check the help file the Archives and Viruses page info are only relevant in the Pro version as they aren't available in the Home version.

Well I would have thought that mp3 files might well be being scanned under the Standard Shield (created/modified option) when the download is complete, depends on settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mevcit

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
If you check the help file the Archives and Viruses page info are only relevant in the Pro version as they aren't available in the Home version.
Yeah i know that, but i thought the settings about archives can be changed by changing the level of protection. I think i'm wrong. :) Ok, i'll check it. Thanks.

Well I would have thought that mp3 files might well be being scanned under the Standard Shield (created/modified option) when the download is complete, depends on settings.
That might be. Now I've decided to install the pro version to check my thoughts about the settings. Thanks again. ;D

By the way I couldn't see the attached image.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:30:52 PM by mevcit »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
You're welcome.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
Any file can be infected if you have P2P enabled and any unscrupulous person could gain access to your hard drive if it is not set up correctly.

Please read:
Perils of P2P File Sharing
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/305923-perils-p2p-file-sharing.html

Google it if you don't believe me.

mevcit

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »
David, I installed Avast pro, and you're right. There was no change in archive settings when I changed the protection level.

But i couldn't understand something.
1) All shields were at normal level, I downloaded two malicious files with mp3 and zip format by FrostWire, and avast didn't detect them.
2) Then I set the level of p2p shield to high, again it didn't detect them as i expected.
3) After that I set the level of standard shield to high (that is, the setting named "All files" under the tab named "Scanner (Advanced)" was selected), i downloaded the same files and avast detected them. The detection of the mp3 file is normal, but how could it detect the file with zip format? Because in archive settings of the standard shield "ZIP archive" wasn't selected. Besides, when downloading a malicious zip archive by an internet browser, standard shield doesn't detect it (when web shield is paused), and i know this is normal since "ZIP archive" isn't selected.
4) I paused p2p shield and then downloaded the same files. This time, avast detected only the mp3 file. When i continued p2p shield, both of the files were detected, and as you know the all archive types are selected in the p2p shield settings. So can we say that p2p and standard shield work together when downloading a file from a p2p application?

As you can see I'm confused now, please help me. Am i mad? ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
Zip files are inert by conventional standards and with default settings the standard shield wouldn't scan a zip file.

The web shield however, scans all content on port 80 including zip files. So if paused that file would get through and sit inert until you either unzipped it and the contents were scanned (depending on type) or you ran an on-demand scan with archives selected.

I can't really help with P2P as I don't use any p2p application so I can't test it.

mevcit

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »
Zip files are inert by conventional standards and with default settings the standard shield wouldn't scan a zip file.

The web shield however, scans all content on port 80 including zip files. So if paused that file would get through and sit inert until you either unzipped it and the contents were scanned (depending on type) or you ran an on-demand scan with archives selected.

Yes. Since I know these, i asked the two questions with bold font (actually the second question includes the first one).
Just a few minutes ago I tried again and got the same result. So I think the answer of the question "So can we say that p2p and standard shield work together when downloading a file from a p2p application?" is "yes".
Thanks for your interests David. :)

YoKenny, the situations you stated aren't about what we are talking about. Thanks anyway. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:24:10 PM by mevcit »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:28:41 PM »
You're welcome.