Author Topic: recover files deleted by Avast  (Read 21278 times)

brynpowys

recover files deleted by Avast
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
Avast deleted a file which I now need.
Is there any quarantine directory as I've checked in the chest and there is just a log of the fact that a the file was found with a virus in it?
thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: recover files deleted by Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
Lets be clear, avast didn't delete it, it detects it and gives you a number of options and delete is only one and probably the worst. Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate. Lesson over.

When avast deletes a file it doesn't send a copy to the recycle bin or the chest (unless you specified that option), it is gone. So you would need a file recovery program that can recover deleted files, provided too long hasn't elapsed the file still exists, just that there is no reference to it in the file table.

Try a search for Recuva as there is a free recovery program and by all accounts may be able to help.

However, I would have to question the wisdom of recovering an infected file (avast would alert again).

What was the file name and location, e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

Why do you need it now ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahegazy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »
In my case it was a Microsoft Outlook PST file that contained an email with an infected attachment.
I'm trying a raw data recovery program now, hope it works.

Just wanted to ask, does avast completely delete the file or just its index or reference or whatever? in other words what's the percentage of a successful recovery process if I started it directly after the file was deleted?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
ahegazy, avast should have deleted/moved only the particular email infected and not all the pst file.
Didn't you send it to Chest?
If you delete it with avast, I think you won't be able to recover. Maybe you could try with Recuva or GlaryUndelete (from GlaryUtilities).
Also, for the future, I recommend an outlook backup with http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en (also here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010875321033.aspx).
The best things in life are free.