Author Topic: Avast! Web Scanner Problems  (Read 7558 times)

LoobyLoo

Avast! Web Scanner Problems
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
I have been having problems with the Avast! Web Scanner, I noticed this when I looked in Windows Event Viewer and saw the following entries:

Event ID: 7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

Event ID: 7000
The avast! Web Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Sometimes after a few minutes it does seem to start up, but then sometimes "terminates", Windows Event Viewer shows the following error message:

Event ID: 7034
The avast! Web Scanner service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

These error messages have been happening randomly since 22nd January, but since 14th February (after I installed the new version of Comodo Internet Security) it happens every time I load Windows.

I've disabled Comodo Internet Security and the messages do not appear, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Comodo Internet Security and Avast! (using the avast! Antivirus Removal Tool), but the problem still exists.

I'm using Windows XP (SP3 and all updates), Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 and Comodo Internet Security 3.8.64263.468 (only Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

budaos

Re: Avast! Web Scanner Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
Uninstall then reinstall.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »
Another satisfied Comodo user are you ???

Try totally un-unstalling Comodo and you will find that it leaves more registry debris than a Norton un-install. 

LoobyLoo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
Uninstall then reinstall.

I have already tried that.

Another satisfied Comodo user are you ???

Try totally un-unstalling Comodo and you will find that it leaves more registry debris than a Norton un-install. 

I used regedit and I searched for Comodo Entries that were not deleted.

EDIT: Just noticed that Comodo have brought an update out, so I'll try that and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:35:16 PM by LoobyLoo »

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:51:47 PM »

EDIT: Just noticed that Comodo have brought an update out, so I'll try that and see what happens.
Have you looked up what masochist means?

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »
LoobyLoo, I use CIS 3.8.64263.468 with Avast 4.8.1335 and don't get any such errors. The apparent difference in our installations is that you selected Maximum Proactive Defense, I did not. I would suggest a uninstall, reboot, install of CIS, this time only using the Standard Proactive Defense (and no CAV, of course). At this point you may need to repair install Avast in Control Panel - Add/Remove.

Are you confident there are no leftovers from a previous firewall or A/V?

BTW, yesterday's CIS update was to fix A/V, Vista and high CPU issues, so I don't think it will help in this situation.

There's lots of information and help at the Comodo Forums if you're still having trouble.

LoobyLoo

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
LoobyLoo, I use CIS 3.8.64263.468 with Avast 4.8.1335 and don't get any such errors. The apparent difference in our installations is that you selected Maximum Proactive Defense, I did not. I would suggest a uninstall, reboot, install of CIS, this time only using the Standard Proactive Defense (and no CAV, of course). At this point you may need to repair install Avast in Control Panel - Add/Remove.

Are you confident there are no leftovers from a previous firewall or A/V?

BTW, yesterday's CIS update was to fix A/V, Vista and high CPU issues, so I don't think it will help in this situation.

There's lots of information and help at the Comodo Forums if you're still having trouble.

I uninstalled CIS and reinstalled with the Standard Proactive Defense setting (with no CAV) and it's still the same, I also repaired Avast still no joy.

I'm confident that there are no leftovers from a previous firewall or A/V setup.

I'm going to go and post on Comodo forums, see if anyone there knows what going on!

Thanks for you help :)

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
You're welcome, and good luck!