Author Topic: avast! does not scan Hotmail accounts in Windows Live Mail Desktop :(  (Read 8364 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
it seems it does not scan them, how to get it working for Windows Live Mail Desktop or Outlook Connector? :(

the mails are not counting in avast! for Hotmail account and also avast! don't put note in the mails for those account :(

Windows Live Mail is so popular and avast! need to do something for that...
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast! does not scan Hotmail accounts in Windows Live Mail Desktop :(
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
hotmails are being scanned by Trend Micro if you feel unsecure

http://www.hunterstrat.com/news/microsoft-renews-trend-micro-hotmail-antivirus-deal/

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »
avast can't scan them because it isn't using the POP3 protocol but an MS proprietary function called DeltaSync.

DeltaSync - the replacement for WebDav.
When MS executes the promised demise of WebDav you will not be able to use Hotmail with OE any longer and the only mail client that will work with Hotmail will be Windows Live Mail (the replacement for OE). Neither avast or AVG will be able to scan Hotmail there since it is accessed by the new proprietary MS protocol DeltaSync - the replacement for WebDav.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
hotmails are being scanned by Trend Micro if you feel unsecure

http://www.hunterstrat.com/news/microsoft-renews-trend-micro-hotmail-antivirus-deal/

I just would feel secure when avast! scan my mails and add Note to both clean and infected files. I've seen TrendMicro logo in site, I've seen that it scan with LiveOneCare too, I don't know which one is working now.

avast can't scan them because it isn't using the POP3 protocol but an MS proprietary function called DeltaSync.

DeltaSync - the replacement for WebDav.
When MS executes the promised demise of WebDav you will not be able to use Hotmail with OE any longer and the only mail client that will work with Hotmail will be Windows Live Mail (the replacement for OE). Neither avast or AVG will be able to scan Hotmail there since it is accessed by the new proprietary MS protocol DeltaSync - the replacement for WebDav.

so, would next avast! scan them? I understand about their protocol
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:55:12 PM by Omid Farhang »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:52 PM »
No, for exactly the same reasons it is a proprietary (a closed process only for use by specific applications) protocol and only MS products/email clients (and only some of them) can use it. The same is true for other AVs also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
@DavidR: anyway thanks for your answer, the good information that I did not know.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:21:18 AM »
@pondus: Thanks so much for links :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »
If you do get the free pop3 account in Hotmail then avast should be able to scan that in either thunderbird or windows live mail, etc.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 04:15:25 AM »
Sorry but no it will not - at least not right now.

The new Hotmail servers being rolled out by Hotmail country by country (I do not think they are yet announced as available in Iran) require that the connections to the server are secured connections which cannot be scanned by avast.

Users of Microsoft Outlook and the avast Outlook Exchange provider can have their Hotmail email scanned by avast since this configuration is totally independent of the communication method.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »
For those like the original poster in this thread ... who are attracted to Windows Live Mail ... then as the replacement of Outlook Express ... you get what Microsoft allows you.  It is slow (it processes only one account at a time) but it is resolving some of its earlier problems in attachment processing while it still wants to tie you to storing your data with Microsoft as it competes with Google.   

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
...It is slow (it processes only one account at a time)...
it works better than outlook for me, I've an slow connection and multiple connections in same time is not good for me, I prefer this one by one!
also Live Mail is lighter, open faster and has a clear interface, works better for reading RSS and I like showing accounts separated :)
also, it show my contacts better and a good calendar, that's all what I need!! ;)
Thanks for answering, I appreciate it :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
Sorry but no it will not - at least not right now.

The new Hotmail servers being rolled out by Hotmail country by country (I do not think they are yet announced as available in Iran) require that the connections to the server are secured connections which cannot be scanned by avast.

Which is why I prefixed my comment with 'If' as I too doubt its immediated wordlwide availability.

If you do get the free pop3 account in Hotmail then avast should be able to scan that in either thunderbird or windows live mail, etc.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
David, I was stressing the point that even when the servers are available the free Hotmail accounts using those servers will still not be able to be scanned by avast since the connections are required to be secured.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
Thanks Alan I wasn't aware that they would be using SSL, I guess they will have to wait for avast version 5 ;D