Author Topic: uninstall and reinstall Avast directions please  (Read 10505 times)

lilydiane2

uninstall and reinstall Avast directions please
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Hi all,
I need some directions. I believe my Avast is corrupt and I want to un-install it then re-install a fresh copy of the software. I need to know what steps I take. Do I download  the fresh software before I un-istall the one I am using now? Can I use the some activation code? Is there an un-install tool on Avast website that I can use? If so please give me the link. Any directions you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I want to make this run as smooth as possible. I am throughly pleased with Avast. Thank you. PS: I had put this in the wrong forum and for that I am very sorry. I got it right now.

Mr.Agent

Re: uninstall and reinstall Avast directions please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »
try a repair of Avast !

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »
Sorry for double post or try this

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:27 AM »
Can I use the some activation code?
Yes, you can use the same registration key.
The best things in life are free.

lilydiane2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »
Sorry for double post or try this

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Could you please explain a few points please. 1. After I uninstall from the Control panel I "Download the lastest version of Avast and uninstall" Do I (Install) it before ininstalling it. Hey I know how busy you are but you were at this point once too I imagine.  2. I have to go to the Advast website to get the latest version with no protection. Will I get infected doing so? Sorry to be a pest but your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »
After I uninstall from the Control panel I "Download the lastest version of Avast and uninstall" Do I (Install) it before ininstalling it
After you uninstall, it's not installed anymore.

Then, you download the latest version for avast's website.

No, you're not going to get infected with a virus just by going to avast's website, as avast's website isn't infected with any malware / viruses.  I would refrain from visiting most other sites before installing avast though.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:56:01 AM »
I think I know what lilydiane2 meant scythe944. The third point is a bit confusing if you don't add the link.

By this Mr.Agent  was refering to an un-install utility of Avast which can be found here:
http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

What this does is to make sure that no traces of avast are left after the uninstall done from the Control panel. So essentially you do step one and two, and then using the link I provided above you download the utility and run it. When that is done you will have to reboot. So then follow step seven and it's done.

Note: By steps I am referring to the steps listed in Mr.Agent initial post.

Is this OK?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:58:01 AM »
Ok, I get it.  I didn't understand.  Yeah, follow Confused Computer User's post.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

lilydiane2

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
Hey, Confused Computer User, can't thank you enough. Now I completely understand what to do. A little help goes a long way. Thanks again all. hagd

Mr.Agent

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »
no prob sry for i didnt respond so fast :) i was busy

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »
You are welcomed.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Dlira

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
I my name is Dlira and I am a NEWBIE when it comes to this security stuff!

I am using Vista Home Premium as my platform. I downloaded Avast 4.7 and I believe it is corrupted. I am unable to run (has the little red circle on it when shown in tray) and I am unable to UNINSTALL OR REPAIR IT!  HOW CAN I GET THIS REMOVED FROM MY PC so that I can download and reinstall a new copy using my existing License No. ?

There are two (2) error messages that I get:

1.  UNKNOWN ERROR:  Program cannot load iNews(C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast Data\iNews.htm)

2. AVAST ALERT:  A setiface error has occurred: 536870929

PLEASE I AM DESPARATE, I would appreciate any help that is available to REMOVE this from my pc. I am unprotected and at risk for viruses/worms, etc.

Regards,
DLira  :'(   :(   :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:38 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is important as it could be the root cause of the problem.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD (if you didn't do so with the other copy you downloaded), somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
Dlira
What DavidR has recommended will very likely solve the problem. At least in part the problem could be due to using an out of date version of Avast. Current version is 4.8.
Take care to check for a previous AV installation.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:59:58 AM »
Good catch, I missed the old version of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security