Author Topic: Problems installing  (Read 5928 times)

cmg777

Problems installing
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »
I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit and am having problems installing it on this system when prompted via dialog box I am told to delete the program then delete my temporary internet files I do this and am prompted by the same dialog box  ??? . What am I to do?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Problems installing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
HI cmg777 ,

welcome to the forum.
ok a few questions.

1. Did you download avast from here:
http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
or from somewhere else?

2.Do you have other security software installed on the computer? If so, which (ie. Norton, Kaspersky...). Did this software come pre-installed on your computer?

3. Can you post a picture of the message (screen shot)?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

cmg777

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
HI cmg777 ,

welcome to the forum.
ok a few questions.

1. Did you download avast from here:
http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
or from somewhere else?

2.Do you have other security software installed on the computer? If so, which (ie. Norton, Kaspersky...). Did this software come pre-installed on your computer?

3. Can you post a picture of the message (screen shot)?

1. Yes

2. at first no but then I installed AVG which is now a 30-day then u pay software vender  ;D hope Avast never goes down the same trail.

3. Yes but first even though I installed AVG the same message gets displayed after I "Run As Admin".

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:37 AM »
Oh boy...

Well this goes way over my head.
Here is the feed back on what the error code means.
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=162&nav=0

I see that you still have AVG on there. Supposing that you do manage to install avast you will have to remove AVG. It's not recommended to have two Anti-viruses on your computer.

Avast is free but there is a registration you have to do. (again, it's free)

Sorry for not being able to do more...Wait for some other replies. :(
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
What prompted you to delete the program and which program was it suggesting you delete then ?

This isn't something I have come across with avast.

If you used IE, try downloading (save file as) it with firefox and save it to somewhere on your HDD you can find it. Or if you use a download manager try that.

The windows file system error 1006 = The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. So something has altered or corrupted the download.

You should uninstall AVG as it only complicates matters having a second resident AV installed.
To make sure all remnants are gone - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:14:52 AM »
there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

I forgot to point that out. Thanks DavidR for the mention.

Also, in my initial solution i posted a link:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=162&nav=0

which pointed to one specific application.

error 1006 (000003EE) corrupt file
Symptoms

I have WinXP pro, and am trying to install avast! Home Edition but I get the following error: error 1006 (000003EE). I tried download a few different types of exe installation files but it always says: you have a corrupt file please download again.

Cause/Details

This problem can be caused by the software ‘Nvidia firewall’ that comes for example with the motherboard chipset driver CD. When installed it causes corrupted downloads and installs i.e.: cannot perform online anti-virus scans.

Solution

Usually you will need to remove this software.

To avoid any further reference to this, cmg777 can you please confirm or infirm if you have Nvidia firewall
Computer Systems:

cmg777

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:56 AM »
I do not have nvidia firewall I have the nvidia control panel in which on my 32-bit OS laptop installed Avast well with no issues.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:33:08 AM »
I do not have nvidia firewall I have the nvidia control panel in which on my 32-bit OS laptop installed Avast well with no issues.

That only leaves DavidR's inquiry.

there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Computer Systems:

cmg777

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:39 AM »
Maybe I should try the pro then downgrade to home since pro is supports 64 bit vista but the home edition links don't mention support for 64-bit systems. If that doesn't work maybe I should format since I had some trouble installing this system with a wireless keyboard from scratch.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:53:34 AM »
Maybe I should try the pro then downgrade to home since pro is supports 64 bit vista but the home edition links don't mention support for 64-bit systems. If that doesn't work maybe I should format since I had some trouble installing this system with a wireless keyboard from scratch.

What do you mean?

Support for 64-bit Windows

avast! Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform. ALWIL Software is anticipating massive take-up of this platform, as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit extensions of the processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, making applications run faster and more efficiently.
taken from:http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-antivirus-antispyware.html

Home/Professional
this refers to the Free or Paid version.

Both version have the same engine under the hood, the difference is in the interface and a few extra options, but again same performance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:55:23 AM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

cmg777

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:03:23 AM »
Thanks yea I'm thinking about formating I just built a custom rig and I've had all sorts of trouble since I could not get my wireless key board to work when I was in the process of typing in the screen name long story short my User file which stores my user info is blank and when it is shown on different file type transactional downloads it is shown as such C:\Users\ \... or C:\Users\?\... or C:\Users\??\... so basically I think I should format.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 02:06:26 AM »
Fingers crossed.

I limit myself to pre-built systems... But I play with my older computers and try to install Linux on them. :)
Computer Systems:

cmg777

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
I used to have a pre built Dell Desktop(had a P4 too)  that I'd play around with never installed Linux but always wanted to maybe I will one day on this HD once I buy a new upgraded one. The only difference between pre-built is that the processor is generally soldered in and sometimes the cd drives are limited on what you can do as far as taking them out period or space unless you paid more to have them or you have an older P4. Also you have have the luxury of having the OS preinstalled with everything else.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »

There is essentially no difference in the Home/Pro version in relation to 32/64bit OS, if 64bit OS then there would be some different things loaded perhaps, but that would be the same for home or pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cmg777

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »
 ;D turns out that the for mentioned problem of the file directory was the overall issue and Avast successfully installed! I formated my system and it solved the issue.