Author Topic: why some software such as spybot block one URL in many different place?  (Read 8356 times)

satyr

Re: why some software such as spybot block one URL in many different place?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
I duplicated this post by mistake, but I couldn't delete it!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:31:37 PM by satyr »

satyr

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
Tech, I don't want to go there, my question is that, when HOSTS file block any traffic to that URL, why Spybot add that URL in windows registry in restricted site TOO?

Well, though it's true that I am not very familiar with how Spybot works (currently I don't use it/have it installed, but I was using it in the past), but maybe the reason for that is just that it doesn't "know" (doesn't "look" there) that it's (i.e. the respective hostname redirected to localhost/127.0.0.1 in hosts file) already there/blocked ...

when that URL in HOSTS file block any traffic to that URL it's no more needed to add that URL again in registry too and slow down windows and programs launch time, am I thinking wrong?

Also, the slow down in programs' launch times is so small (if there's any at all, but certainly it isn't measurable/noticed by the user) that it isn't worth bothering with it, at least IMO.

Greetings, satyr

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »
I duplicated this post by mistake, but I couldn't delete it!!

Only moderators can delete posts/topics, all you as the poster can do is to Modify the post content, deleting it and putting in something like Duplicate post or Intentional deletion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security