Author Topic: windows security says AV is turned off  (Read 15733 times)

Offline Aliceinwebland

• Personal Message (Offline)
windows security says AV is turned off
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »
Hi admin and members

I am currently using Avast 4.8.1335 VPS 090429-0 and I can see it running and can scan my computer, yet windows is telling me that it is turned off! any ideas? I am using windows vista home basic and my pc is having start up problems, but a thorough scan shows no viruses found. I had installed IE8 but don't think that was the issue as my problems started before that. I have done a system restore, but cautious about turning it off again.
Alice  :)

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: windows security says AV is turned off
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »
Hi Aliceinwebland, and welcome.
Do you use the Avast WHS, or (as I suspect) Avast Home edition?
What antivirus was installed on the computer before Avast?

Is it the security centre (wee red shield in the system tray) alerting you to this "outage"?
If you open taskmanager, can you see "ashServ.exe" in the list? (plus hopefully around 4 or 5 other "ash" applications)
WindowsXP Home SP3,Avast Free 5.1.889,Windows Firewall, Autorun Eater,Firefox w/Noscript+ /Adblock+/Better Privacy, IE8 all zones except MS Update set to "untrusted" settings,MVPS Host file.SecuniaPSI.

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »
Thank you for the welcome.  :)
Yes i am using Avast Home edition but there was no antivirus software installed previously, I have used this one since I got the pc in July 07
Yes it is the security centre, the wee red shield in the system tray alerting me.
Only one 'ash' in task manager, "ashDisp.exe" in the list
Someone tried to send me a file through MSN messenger and pc started acting up after that, so I think I have a virus, but Avast not finding anything  ???

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:27:22 AM »
Oh. That sounds a bit dodgy. How much of the file actually arrived, and did it produce any warnings, and do you know the file name (or at least how it was referred to in the message?)

Try a repair of Avast. Go to programs and features in the control panel, open "manage programs" (or similar name, used for uninstalling) select Avast antivirus, click "change/remove". The options will appear. Click "repair"
Tell us how that goes.

Sorry about the obvious vagueness of terminology; I'm not a native Vista speaker.
WindowsXP Home SP3,Avast Free 5.1.889,Windows Firewall, Autorun Eater,Firefox w/Noscript+ /Adblock+/Better Privacy, IE8 all zones except MS Update set to "untrusted" settings,MVPS Host file.SecuniaPSI.

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »
No worries Tarq I'm grateful for any help and advice. will try the avast repair and get back to you.

Alice  :)

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
hi again Tarq
I did the repair which was very quick! not sure if that's normal? I found the history of the file that was sent through messenger as follows:

Hey, remember those pictures we took? Well here they are! http://h1.ripway.com/ezasabc/Pictures!.exe hope you like them!

but like I said I didn't click on anything!  ???

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »
OH! dont click on that link, i never thought about it until now! I guess you're intellegent enough to know not to

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:31 AM »
So I'm guessing that the author/context of that message was meaningless to you?
Sure sounds like the sort of attachment that could carry malware. Not so many pictures end with a file extension of "exe".
Of course I clicked on the link!  ;D The file linked to was not available without my signing into the site, which appears to be files storage/sharing.

Now to the important bit. Does Avast work correctly now?

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
LOL you're brave clicking the link! I noticed the exe at the end and knew something was dodgy.
I haven't run avast again, like i said it was already running beofre, just that windows wasn't picking it up. When i scanned my pc i found nothing, but something is causing the start up problem, could it have been that file?

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't a file, but a message with a link, yes? If there actually was an .exe attached, and it got to run, that could be a problem.
I don't think your Avast was running correctly before. How many providers have you set to run, and how many "ash" processes show up in taskmanager?
Click the "name" tab in taskmanager to order them alphabetically.
Is the security centre still alerting?

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
You are right, it was a message with a link. I don't remember clicking on it, but would've had to in order for it to run.. i dunno, getting a bit confuzzled with it all.
7 providers, 6 running
ordered alphabetically and definately only the one "ash" processes in taskmanager, the ashDisp.exe
yes the security centre still saying that it's turned off, but when i click on the 'turn on' button, nothing changes! I'm totally baffled. I installed internet explorer 8 but because of this problem I had to restore which has removed IE8.. will that make any difference and can I reinstall IE8? Sorry to be a pain  :-[

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
i thought of uninstalling avast and reinstalling, should I try that?

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
I'll think about it, but must sleep now. Someone else may help; there are some willing folk here. Or I'll be back in 12hr.
If you reinstall Avast, do a full uninstall, run the removal tool, and fresh install. Search the forum for info about that- it's been posted about many times.

Offline Aliceinwebland

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »
Thank you Tarq, i will do, thanks for all your help and sweet dreams  ;)

Offline Tarq57

• avast! Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »
Hi Aliceinwebland.
There are a few things I think it would be wise to do.
The situation with your AV is not good, because there should be at least ashServ.exe running in addition to ashDisp. So basically I think you are unprotected.
I suggest:
-Clean your temporary files. Use the inbuilt disk clean, Ccleaner (by Piriform) or ATF cleaner (by Atribune.) (If you use these be carefull not to tick stuff to clean that you may not want removed, for example,"menu order cache", or "wipe free space" [Ccleaner]). The inbuilt disk clean utility will do.
-Please download MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php or Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html and save it to your desktop (or a convenient folder).
Install it, update it, and run a quick scan, and then advise what (if anything) is found.
-Download the Avast uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html and if you don't have a current installer file for Avast antivirus, download that too. (The link is for the Home edition) http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
Uninstall Avast:
-Disconnect from the internet, right click the tray icon, select "program settings" then "troubleshooting", and disable the self-protection module.
-Right click the tray icon, select "stop on access protection".
-Uninstall from the control panel. Be advised you will lose all program settings and anything in the vault.
-Run the Avast Uninstall Utility. Reboot.
-Install avast antivirus. You should skip the boot scan- it takes a while.

See how that goes.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now