Author Topic: A computer that simply doesn't like Avast.  (Read 2372 times)

iZen

A computer that simply doesn't like Avast.
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:22:06 PM »
This issue is driving me nuts and I have never seen anything like it.
I'm attempting to install Avast on a freshly formatted computer and anything that specifically says "avast" closes literally right after I open it. I tested the theory with Notepad, Avast Setup file and IE7. I saved a notepad document called Avast and it reacted this way, but any other notepad document will work fine. Same with the install file and the website. If I search google for Avast or try to go to the Avast website, IE7 instantly closes. Yet, every other website works fine.
Is there any virus out there that directly attacks Avast?
If not, has anyone else had this problem, and how would I go about fixing it?

It is NOT the keyboard and I am NOT crazy.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: A computer that simply doesn't like Avast.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »
You could send in some details. Your computer will be writing logs of these events.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
Well this is the event when it crashes. Event ID: 1002 This will only appear (when it crashes, and only when Avast is running, and when I open the Comodo folder). So, this is the only entry in event viewer

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There's not much I can tell you, besides what I'm using (XP Pro x64, 6 GB ram)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:40:31 AM »
You're in the wrong thread PaulAuckNZ.

ID Event 1002 - with Avast running.
Have you been back and forth to CIS website? Did you recently dowload CIS package?
The cause of the shell / explorer.exe may be conflict related to internet cache / IP address allocation from recent browsing coupled with running of avast and the hyperlink potential of something in CIS folder.

You havent said anything about any network setup. Network connections?

Use static address pool? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181024. I really doubt this.

I think this is comodo installer problem so, as Igor says, I think you need to provide details of offending file's properties in your CIS folder. Then Avast forum may see more clearly the problem.

And return to correct thread.
Best regards, Mark.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.