Author Topic: Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding  (Read 33724 times)

dgillham

Re: Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
A local PC system builder can make a system equal or better than a Dell system plus they provide support that have people that speak English as a first language and not have to deal with some person that can hardly understand English never mind respond in intelligible English sentences and paragraphs.

Hi YoKenny

We all have our prefences but I can't agree with yours

Laptops, at least in my country, are not readily available from system builders. I now own four Dell machines and I much prefer them. They do have a fair bit of junk installed on them, but far less than most other makes. It is very easy to format a hard drive, partition it, and then re-install the operating system correctly. After that I then install MY programs, not the ones Dell might want me to use. As a result, all my machines boot quickly and run fast because they are kept clean and lean

In this latest case, I got the laptop at a considerably discounted price and as part of a mobile broadband deal, which saves me a considerable amount of money over two years and with no capital outlay. I'd have been foolish to look elsewhere. As for the need for tech support to speak English, that really isn't a problem for me as I don't need tech support as a rule. I only need the occasional pointer to solve problems or the need to speak to Dell support about a warranty issue (only twice in three years, so that's not too bad). I use email with Dell, anyway, as there is no heavy Mumbai accent on email, although I do agree they seem to speak a completely different language most of the time

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
Hi dgillham

Thank heavens you are still an avast supporter. ;) You are right too, Dell do assemble a good make of computer that in every instance I have found is compatible with avast. And of course, not all Dells are the same across the board, but as I am by choice not a Dell user I have only little idea which bios manufacturer it was that they would at any particular time contrive to craft their mainly Intel chipset / CPU mainboard designs, and even less notion as to what technology they would procure to make up the wlan devices that connect to their integrated circuit composites, other than that all is sourced from outside the company and cleverly put together under the Dell brand. And the machines are nothing if not cleverly put together and balanced to produce an easy-accessible and well-priced alternative to the more expensive brands (like Toshiba and HP, for example).

However, I was tempted to follow up what specs you had provided - the Dell 1397 Wireless Mini card - when rarely do I do such things where Dell components are concerned.

http://www.ciao.com/Dell_Wireless_1397_PCI_Express_Half_Height_Mini_Card_network_adapter__Review_10380948

In this case I would have thought maybe look into a network connections or internet options applet to find out more, but as problem was at Control Panel level, there are many other potential problem zones. The Dell 'software layer' relates to Dell OEM functionality amongst devices (that are predominantly not Dell) and the NTFS abstraction layer (Vista), and ordinarily you would not rule out the antivirus as a possible cause of conflict, due primarily to its early request for resources at boot up time. However, while possible, there are not sufficient volume of instances to suggest this as the likely scenario (your instances excluded of course). I would say always look first to Broadcom applet because API calls by avast to Vista are usual proven consistent at Control Panel level, though yes I do recall some issues, depending on what other software is running. But my time is limited to follow up each of such issues, especially when the query is being posted by someone who seems relatively knowledgeable about the relevant problem zones.

From a commercial aspect it would make sense for Avast to try and replicate the problem themselves and the information I have given will enable them to do this.

If Alwil team see a problem concerning aspects of any their market offerings, they will usual post queries in the forum themselves. They usual keep track.

Edit - since the post was first placed, the hyperlink above has shifted url destination point from a review of the 1397 network adaptor to a general ciao.com page - so please disregard the link because it now has nothing to do with 1397 adaptor, as can be easily seen when the makeup of the hyperlink is compared with the destination url. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:20:26 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

dgillham

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
Thank heavens you are still an avast supporter. ;)
I suspect I always will be. It's the best I've found in 42 years of computing
this case I would have thought maybe look into a network connections or internet options applet to find out more, but as problem was at Control Panel level, there are many other potential problem zones
I don't think it will be particularly complex finding a solution as the control panel freeze is not really a true freeze. It's better described as a very long pause. Left to its own devices it may go away of its own accord but whilst it's pausing it takes Windows Explorer with it (which is what it really is anyway)

The workaround is very simple. Unistall the WLAN utility and then point device manager to the actual drivers, which are usually unpacked in the C:\Dell\Drivers folder

The control panel utility is not required as it only duplicates the functionality already in Vista but that, of course, is the whole issue that surrounds this crazy method of installing OEM drivers. It's not an exclusively Dell problem that manufacturers want to install their own software helpers that end up conflicting with what Windows already does, and usually does well. Of course, from their point of view I suppose it is Microsoft interfering with their software, not the other way around. It ultimately depends on whether you are a Microsoft fan or a fan of competition, but I don't want to get involved in that argument  :P

I think the conflict between Avast and Broadcom is likely to be subtle rather than major, but it is an irritation and one that might well cause some major anxieties in end users. I'm simply glad i found the answer quite quickly and now have Avast running sweetly

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
Hi dgillham.

Good to see avast running okay because AV is such a priority issue. Also, while control panel conflict may be minor, any irritation can be a pain when Windows is involved. Often these kinds of issues get blamed first on avast, but I have found unless the AV is doing something wrong, or is not up to date, etc.. then best leave AV be and look elsewhere. With your query, my gut feeling would say an issue between Broadcom and Windows. But this is not to rule out avast. Perhaps Broadcom and AV shields cramping each other (doesn't happen often).

I guess you've tested driver changes - with Dell, drivers issues are not as common with Dell as people make out, there is usual one right one and that's it. Where I have people whose PCs are too old to warrant fixing, I usual recommend they instead go for Dell standard deal which is most times the best value for price on the market, and comes with after-sales warranty. On their own terms, Dell PCs are surprisingly well-balanced. For a tech, though, a Dell can be a law unto itself, no matter how good that law may be. But I've never found them to have first instance issues with avast.

Perhaps sequencing when doing the setups is the problem. When you load, check out what should be set first, second, third, etc.. in which case I think look at where Broadcom clicks in, as this wlan device is carrying your gateway and Windows has often struggled a bit with web / desktop and active directories. Sorry I cannot suggest a best sequence for loading up because I'm not there. If all else is running okay, then perhaps wait for options over time by computer (error / solution) or internet (search / find).

While I cannot rule out avast completely, I find that I spend very little of my time on AV problems, and virtually all my time fixing up other things to do with the general running of the computer.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

dgillham

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »
I guess you've tested driver changes

Yes, three different versions. The results are the same in that the drivers seem to have no conflicts themselves but in each case the control panel utility conflicts and the problem goes away if the drivers are installed manually rather than using the OEM setup

Perhaps sequencing when doing the setups is the problem

It doesn't appear to be, as far as I can tell. I tried Avast installed onto the factory installed Windows, onto a fresh Vista install using the Dell "recommended" driver sequence and then again on a fresh install using "my" sequence. Not conclusive on a small sample of installs like this but the result was the same in all three installs, suggesting sequence is not the issue

I simply think control panel is waiting for something to happen. Maybe the WLAN applet is doing something unusual and is causing Avast to prevent it running. An earlier version of the same card (the 1395) does not have the same issue on a Dell Inspiron 1525 so it is presumably limited to the latest builds from Dell that are now using the 1397 card. That will still be a lot of machines world-wide though

dwmorse

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »
I'm having this problem as well.

Here's my system specs:

Dell Studio 1537
Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
4GB RAM
60GB SSD Hard drive

Same thing as the first poster mentioned - attempting to start up Control Panel from either the link from Desktop, or through the Start Menu, locks up Explorer.exe and it has to be restarted. (Luckily the process can be restarted and doesn't require a reboot.)

When I fired up Resource monitor, I found that my disk activity was maxed completely out at 100%. CPU and RAM utilization was about 20% or so, nothing huge, but I've NEVER seen my SSD get crunched like that.

Shutting down the Avast! On-Access Protection solved the problem immediately.

My install of Vista Ultimate x64 is fresh, from Microsoft, not from Dell, with only Dell drivers installed where necessary.

I think we're looking at an unaddressed bug, and I'd be curious if the original poster was running Vista 64-bit as well.

dgillham

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
I think we're looking at an unaddressed bug, and I'd be curious if the original poster was running Vista 64-bit as well.

Hi dwmorse

I don't think we're looking at anything of the sort. A quick look at the spec for the Studio 1537 on the Dell website shows that only one WLAN card is installed, which is exactly the same one I have in my Studio 1737. If that's what you have, and it's what Dell says you should have, then the cure is very simple

First things first, back up your system, as I take no responsibility for any data loss or other operating system failures. Everything is at your risk, not mine (but there's really no risk if you follow the instructions)

First, go to the Dell website and download the latest drivers for the wireless LAN card in your Studio 1537. You can double check the model of card by going to Control Panel, Device Manager and checking. I expect it to be a 1397, although it could possibly read as a 1510, which has the same drivers

Second, from Control Panel, Programs and Features uninstall the existing Wireless LAN utility. I no longer have it installed so can't give you the exact name for it but it will be quite obvious which one it is

Third, unpack the drivers you just downloaded from Dell (it should be a file called R206848.exe). Allow the file to unpack to its default C:\Dell\Drivers\206848. Once the file has unpacked you will see a message asking you to click to finish. After you click finish, the drivers will start to install but at this stage click cancel. Do not let them install

Fourth. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager and look for an item under Unknown Devices that says it is a Network Adaptor and has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right mouse click, select properties, select the Driver Tab and then click Update Drivers, then "Browse my computer" and point the dialogue to the location of the unpacked file (C:\Dell\Drivers\206848). The drivers should then install but the utility will not. Reboot the computer and you should no longer have the problem

As you are using 64 bit VISTA please double check that you have the correct drivers by using your service Tag on the Dell website. I have no idea whether the drivers are the same for both 32 and 64 bit but if in doubt post back here before you go ahead

Let us know how you get on
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:34:33 PM by dgillham »

Mike_Aberdeen

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »

Hi dwmorse

I don't think we're looking at anything of the sort. A quick look at the spec for the Studio 1537 on the Dell website shows that only one WLAN card is installed, which is exactly the same one I have in my Studio 1737. If that's what you have, and it's what Dell says you should have, then the cure is very simple

First things first, back up your system, as I take no responsibility for any data loss or other operating system failures. Everything is at your risk, not mine (but there's really no risk if you follow the instructions)

First, go to the Dell website and download the latest drivers for the wireless LAN card in your Studio 1537. You can double check the model of card by going to Control Panel, Device Manager and checking. I expect it to be a 1397, although it could possibly read as a 1510, which has the same drivers

Second, from Control Panel, Programs and Features uninstall the existing Wireless LAN utility. I no longer have it installed so can't give you the exact name for it but it will be quite obvious which one it is

Third, unpack the drivers you just downloaded from Dell (it should be a file called R206848.exe). Allow the file to unpack to its default C:\Dell\Drivers\206848. Once the file has unpacked you will see a message asking you to click to finish. After you click finish, the drivers will start to install but at this stage click cancel. Do not let them install

Fourth. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager and look for an item under Unknown Devices that says it is a Network Adaptor and has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Right mouse click, select properties, select the Driver Tab and then click Update Drivers, then "Browse my computer" and point the dialogue to the location of the unpacked file (C:\Dell\Drivers\206848). The drivers should then install but the utility will not. Reboot the computer and you should no longer have the problem

As you are using 64 bit VISTA please double check that you have the correct drivers by using your service Tag on the Dell website. I have no idea whether the drivers are the same for both 32 and 64 bit but if in doubt post back here before you go ahead

Many thanks dg - cured my same problem and I suspect many others as well!

Mike.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
Yes thanks dg.

I made sure to bookmark thread in case I run into a like problem situation sometime or other out in the wild.

pananza

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
I too have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and cannot access control panel in Vista (SP2) when Avast 4.8 is running. I'm now in the process of trying to uninstall and reinstalling the network drivers. But I'm posting this now since I experienced something during uninstall.

When uninstalling the Dell WiFi control applet or whatever it was called in Control Panel Avast popped up with a warning about a suspicious file found using heuristics. It was WLTRYSVC.EXE which actually is Broadcom Corporation Wireless Network Tray Applet. Why Avast only found this file suspicious after I uninstalled it I don't know. I sent the file to Alwil for analyzis (or it will be when network is up again).

Will post a followup if the driver-reinstall tip works for me.

Edit: Can confirm that uninstalling the dell driver package and only installing the driver worked. Now both networking and control panel is working.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:09:15 AM by pananza »

azc

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
I've just experienced this same problem on a brand new Dell Inspiron 1545, with Vista x86 (32-bit), Avast Home 4.8, and the Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card.

Glad to have finally tracked this down.  I've only restored it back to factory image four times already to find the problem..

[edit]  I have followed the advice given in dgillham's post and the problem has gone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:47:18 PM by azc »

annieominous

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:12:09 PM by annieominous »

annieominous

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »

Hi dwmorse

Thank you! This worked beautifully.

cjflory

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:44 AM »
... I missed page 2  ::)

Thanks for the help dgillham!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:41:58 AM by cjflory »

Mister O

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
My son took delivery of Dell 1750 64 bit laptop a few days ago which was exhibiting the freezing control problem panel problems after Avast was installed. I really didn't want to install a different antivirus so Dgillhams workaround of uninstalling the WLAN 1397 utility and reinstalling just the device drivers worked very nicely. THANKS !