Author Topic: Tried to scan but computer locks up do I have bug?  (Read 4903 times)

jonn

Tried to scan but computer locks up do I have bug?
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:04:44 AM »
I've tried 3 times to scan my computer with the AVAST every time it locks up at 39% completed. windows\temporary internet file\con...OPQ34HU7.  I have Me and it is an HP computer, I have me as a user and another user listed.   

Is there a way to get past the temporary internet files to complete the scan?  Can I safely delete all my temporary internet files?  Is the fact that my computer keeps locking up and the scanning will not go further than this indicate a virus?

Thanks

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Tried to scan but computer locks up do I have bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:10:24 AM »
It could be a number of things.
Foremost is a confliction with AVG remnants, how did you remove it, and what version was it?

Does it actually lock up, or just seem to "hang", and is it always at the same file (please expand the file name and path).

What is your system RAM and CPU, please?
What other security applications are running, or have been installed in the past?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
Hi jonn!

Do you use ZoneAlarm?
If yes, please take a look at this.

onlysomeone

jonn

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
I don't have anything else on the computer as far as firewalls etc.

I have Me

Older HP, but I have 52% of my space left.

I believe it was AVG 7.5  (it no longer would update as it dropped support of Me)
I uninstalled it in the add/remove section

I don't know what zoneAlarm -- have no idea what it is.

It (the scanning) seems to stop at the same place.  I'm not able to do anything the scanning stops, the curser won't move, control/alt/delete does nothing so I just shut it the computer off.

I never had any problems scanning with AVG. 

When I get a chance I'll delete the temporary internet files and see if that helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
It (the scanning) seems to stop at the same place.
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

jonn

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »
I'll try the report files.

I deleted all the temporary internet files, but that didn't help it still wouldn't complete the scan.

Thanks

jonn

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
I tried the report idea , however I couldn't get a report.  And, it locked up stop scanning again.  The  curser doesn't move sits.

so, I tried individually to scan items the windows\temporary internet files\content IE5|OPQ34HU7.  It was going great until it got to yregbase_sec_200704191234 [3] c$$ on the computer then locked up.

I may still have CA security program on the computer though I thought I'd uninstalled that years ago and it's not activiated.  It didn't seem to affect scanning in AVG.

Does this help at all to solve the problem?  As long at the AVASt works at catching viruses currently maybe I won't worry about scanning.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »
Even thought the other AV is not active, if it is still installed it is likely to cause problems. You should uninstall it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.