Author Topic: Avast, Aion and GameGuard  (Read 13687 times)

Erytheia

Avast, Aion and GameGuard
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:21:01 AM »
When i want to start AION with the latest Beta-Version, all programs will stop working, even a shutdown of the system is not possible.

I know that this problem is caused by GameGuard, not by avast.

I must deactivate Avast, then Aion (& GameGurad) will work.

The Beta-Version of Aion can be downloaded here: http://aion.patcher.ncsoft.com/liteinstaller/aion.exe - for testing it is not necessary to have a account - just start AION an it will crash the System.

It would be nice to have an "compatibility" Option for this Problem.

My System:
Windows Vista 32Bit - SP1 and all updates
Avast 4.8 (Build Feb 2009, 4.8.1335)
Xtreme Toolkit Version 1.9.4.0
ActiveSkin 4.2.7.3

Gabry610

Re: Avast, Aion and GameGuard
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
The same here..
I've tested and i've seen that if you run Aion with unabled Avast it works fine..
If you run Aion with enabled Avast the sysyem locks itself and crash..
I hope that Alwil Software and NCsoft fix this problem..

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:00:33 PM »
 I have gameguard [audition dance battle] & avast. Both runs fine.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Erytheia

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »

They updated Gameguard for event 4 - in Beta-Event 2&3 i don't have any problems.

Maybe you will get problems in the future ;)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

They updated Gameguard for event 4 - in Beta-Event 2&3 i don't have any problems.

Maybe you will get problems in the future ;)

Well, I just played a few minutes ago & saw the 5 part update. Gameguard ran successfully in my system, so as the game. Maybe, it varies according to game?
avast! 9 RC1

Erytheia

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »
Possible. What os do you use?

I use Vista 32 bit - and for example: Aion and Gameguard are not list in the taskmanger. I know, that on a Vista64-Bit os this two programm will appear on the taskmanager.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
 XP SP3. Hmm. I'll check it out on my vista laptop for similar problems too.
avast! 9 RC1

Erytheia

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »
BTW. Aion use GameGuard 1351

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »
 Well, mine worked. I don't know what Gameguard I might be using, but as of now, all I could say is that the error must be somewhat, varying according to game?
avast! 9 RC1

Erytheia

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
when i start AION, a "GameGuard"-Icon appears in the Systray (near the clock). The Tooltip contains the GG-Rev.

In the GameGuard-Direcotry a "GameGuard.ver" exist. This File say: "Wed Jun  3 11:06:02 2009"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:19:05 PM by Erytheia »

pacesetter

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm a little late in my reply but this is the only thread I could find concerning the AION beta.
I have 2 computers, both use vista home premium and Avast with webroot firewall, both are Intel core2 quad @2.4*G.  The differences are 32 and 64 bit vista, 4G and 6G ram, Gateway and Dell (64 bit) and Nvidia 8800GT (32 bit) Nvidia 8500GT (64 bit).
The Dell 64 bit ran AION without problems listed above while the Gateway 32 bit had the problems with GameGuard and I had to completely uninstall Avast to play AION.
BOTH computers had very low framerates with Avast running (AION not playable on 32 bit vista with on access protection shut off on 32 bit before I tried with Avast uninstalled). With Avast uninstalled on both computers my FPS went from 15-43 fps to 100+ fps.

From a support tech at AION: Working with the system that can't yet connect (due to GameGuard 114 issues), let's try uninstalling the Avast! software from that PC and then run Aion again. We've seen this very issue surface as a result of a software conflict between Avast! and GameGuard.

I know this is not much help in resolving the issue but may shed a light on it for someone. I never did get the issues resolved and just played the game with Avast uninstalled.

I do have the results of a test using NCSoft's game advisor if it would help. It is very large so I didn't want to take up space here.

If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it as I love Avast but also like AION>

BWShellShocked

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
I have the exact same issue.  It is only Aion's version of Gameguard that causes problems.  The issue exists in both the NA Beta version as well as the Aion-C (China) version.  The only way to play without having BSODs, Gameguard Error 114's and complete system instability is to disable the "Self Defense" feature in Avast, which can be found in "Program Settings", "Troubleshooting", and then check the box titled "Disable avast! self-defense module", and then click OK.  It will ask you if you're sure.  Say yes.

While I HATE having to cripple my AV just to run a game, it is the only way to actually be able to play it.

Would be very nice if Avast can work with Gameguard and/or NCSoft to figure out a true fix that doesn't leave their customers vulnerable.