Author Topic: pagefile.sys named pagefile.sys.vir by avast and changed location  (Read 4244 times)

gallia88

pagefile.sys named pagefile.sys.vir by avast and changed location
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:36 PM »
While scanning the computer, Avast detected pagefile.sys as a dangerous file to be deleted. It appeared to me a dialog window in which it was asked if I wanted to delete the file or change its name and location. Avast was suggesting to delete the file. So I first pressed the button on the dialog window to send the file to trash. However, the file could not be moved to trash.
Again, another dialog window in Avast asked me what to do with the file. This time I decided to move the file from C:\ to D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved\pagefile.sys.vir and change its name by adding ".vir".
However, on the Internet I found that the file was not actually a dangerous file.
Should I put the file back? How can I do that? I am afraid that now the performance of my computer could be a lot worse!
I thank you in advance very much!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: pagefile.sys named pagefile.sys.vir by avast and changed location
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »
Having moved and renamed the file to the Moved folder (outside the chest) then when you reboot windows should create a new pagefile.sys file. Did that happen ?

If so then you can safely delete the D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved\pagefile.sys.vir file.

The page file because of its nature (and potentially very large size) is meant to be excluded from scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security