Author Topic: Can't start On-Access Protection  (Read 6768 times)

curiosities

Can't start On-Access Protection
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:33:32 AM »
Hello,

After adding the Windows XP pro and the Avast with the latest updates, I restarted my computer that is when I no longer can activate the Avast On-Access Protection.  Initially, I tried to uninstall the software but the system would not let me, so I got the Avast Unintall software and uninstalled it in a safe mode.  I reinstalled Avast again and got the same result, so I read the posts on this forum (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3935), did 'Repair' function (Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast > Change > choose the Repair option when a window pop-up) as well as uninstall from Control Panel/reboot/use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation/reboot/install/reboot steps. It still didn't work.  I also used Malwarebytes' to check the drive for virus, and it came out clean. (Malwarebytes' was installed before the Avast problem occurred)  I am not sure what else to do.  Can someone help?

Thanks a lot!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't start On-Access Protection
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is a common issue if avast detects the presence of another AV or some remnants, it may disable certain elements to prevent any possible conflict that could lock your system. Or it could cause a failed install, which could then result in a failed uninstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

curiosities

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
I had AVG many months ago.  I uninstalled it by going to control panel>add or remove programs.  As soon as I did it, I installed Avast.  I have been keeping Avast current.  I haven't had any problems with it until now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:18:25 AM »
Glad to know that everything is working now...
Welcome to avast forums ;)
The best things in life are free.

curiosities

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
I had AVG many months ago.  I uninstalled it by going to control panel>add or remove programs.  As soon as I did it, I installed Avast.  I have been keeping Avast current.  I haven't had any problems with it until now.

Actually, I am having a problem with Avast as mentioned in the beginning.  That is why I am posting my question here.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:04 AM »
You could try running the avg removal tool
http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Make sure you download the right version for your computer.There is a 32bit and 64bit version of the removal tool.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

curiosities

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:44:50 AM »
What I don't understand is if AVG was not clean uninstalled few months ago, why I haven't had any problems with Avast until now?  Could there be something left from all the installing and uninstalling of  Avast?  Are there files in the computer that I need to go in and manually delete them?  If yes, how to go about it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »
Conflicts don't happen all the time and there is no time frame, so any problem like this I always suggest hunting remnants of previous AVs.

There is no need to try and manually delete anything, in fact it is pretty time consuming as there are files likely to be in the system32 and possibly drivers folder, not to mention you also have to delete registry entries and that is why we suggest running the specific removal tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

norel

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
I used to run Trend Micro Antivirus with Webroot Spyseeper and they ran fine together until one day after I updated the Spysweeper definitions my system just locked up. Long story short, there was something in that update that made them no longer compatible. I don't know if that's what's causing your problem, but there could be remnants of AVG hanging around that were okay until the latest Avast update. As far as getting AVG completely off your system, a removal tool is probably better than Add/Remove Programs, but I've found them to also be ineffective in some cases. Here's how I do it when all else fails.

First uninstall with Add/Remove Programs. Then go to My Computer>Drive C>Program Files (or wherever it is, usually here)>Find the program folder and delete it.

Next search the entire system for files and folders that might be associated with the program. You'll have to be careful here if you have more than one program by the same manufacturer. You only want to delete the files associated with the program you're trying to remove. Some files may not delete at this stage because they're registry entries. Just delete the ones that will.

After that I clean my registry with CCleaner and/or TweakNow. I've been using both of these for awhile now and never had any problems with either one. Just make sure you know what you're doing before you use them.

When you're done with the registry, reboot and search your system again. This time all the files you want gone should be gone. If not you should at least be able to delete them now.

This is a pain in the a** but so far it's worked very good for me every time I've tried it. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:36:14 AM by norel »

STB6610

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »
I've just had the same problem on my partners old Win 98 machine.
Tried the AVG removal download suggested above and it doesn't seem to work on Win 98, but ...

Running a program update (right click on the Avast icon in the system tray, Updating, Program update) seems to have got it all working again for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
It isn't that it doesn't work on win98, but that it is only designed to work with avg8.x so if your partner had an earlier version that wouldn't work.

The main thing is it is now working.