Author Topic: Driver Verifier finds IO system verification error in aswtdi.sys  (Read 4847 times)

sparge

Driver Verifier finds IO system verification error in aswtdi.sys
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »
OK, I think it's time for a separate thread. This one:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49095.0

seems to be getting determinedly ignored.

After a BSOD recently, that seemed to point the finger of blame at Avast, I set up Driver Verifier to verify all drivers on the PC (Win XP SP3). With Driver Verifier activated, the PC does not even complete the boot process before DV gives the following BSOD:

IO system verification error in aswtdi.sys (WDM driver error 224) [aswtdi.sys+d2e at a57d8d2e]

This is quite reproducible, and indeed I just reproduced it again, wondering whether the complete lack of response to the minidumps I sent two weeks ago indicated that the problem had been fixed (obviously not). Perhaps I'm being a little over-sensitive here, but it seems to me that an AV solution that is reproducibly doing something illegal at boot time, and only getting away with it by virtue of not being challenged properly, is not one to rely on, its many other excellent features notwithstanding. Admittedly, I'm only using the free edition at the moment, but I'm trying to help to improve the product, so it seems to me there is a certain quid pro quo. I'm not seeing anything at the moment that inclines me to spend money (unlike the guys at Malwarebytes, for example, who are invariably customer-responsive to a fault).

I'd be interested to know if anyone else can reproduce the problem. To find out, start:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\verifier.exe

then:
 - create standard settings
 - automatically select all drivers installed on this computer

and reboot. Warning: if you do find the same problem as me, you'll have to restart again and go into safe mode because otherwise you won't be able to boot any more (in safe mode, start verifier.exe again and delete current settings).

bobo1

Re: Driver Verifier finds IO system verification error in aswtdi.sys
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Hi,
Had IE8 installed on my computer caused alot of trouble trashing internet connection and causing xp to BSOD SEVERAL TIMES. Xp sp3 and fully patched, removed IE8 and gone back to IE7 and restored back to a point before installing IE8. Been ok ever since then!

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »
@sparge

I don't have a problem with IE8 but then I don't use Driver Verifier.

What are your system specifications as to CPU type and speed and how much RAM does the system have and video adapter type?

sparge

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »
@YoKenny,

@sparge

I don't have a problem with IE8 but then I don't use Driver Verifier.

What are your system specifications as to CPU type and speed and how much RAM does the system have and video adapter type?

I don't have a problem with IE8 either, I use Firefox. Not sure where the focus on IE8 is coming from? The OP in the original thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49095.0

was using IE8, and I replied there to say I was having the same problem, but with Firefox rather than IE8. Then I created this thread when there was no response to the minidumps I uploaded.

And I also don't use Driver Verifier routinely, I only used it, on the advice of windbg once I dug into the minidump, to try and diagnose the culprit - which I have to say, it seems to have done spectacularly well.

System specs:
 - CPU type, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
 - 2 GB of RAM
 - NVIDIA GeForce 6200 A-LE video adapter

Andy