Author Topic: Avast locks PC after nov 13/nov 14 updates  (Read 2510 times)

ilonmbr

Avast locks PC after nov 13/nov 14 updates
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
Hi all,

Never had a problem with Avast until now.

Yesterday (Nov 13) I did my normal stuff when comming home after work. Turn on my PC/internet and go have dinner, take shower, etc. Since the speakers were on, I could hear the sound of Avast notification that it was updated. When I came back to use the PC, the network was offline (task bar network icon with the red X), but the DSL modem was on and when I tried to open firefox to log to the router to check, in fact, I couldn't do anything else. Couldn't run any program (you could see the process in task manager, but if you try to end it, the task manager would also lock), everything that needed the UAC permission got locked, the network system service was disabled, etc.

When booting in safemode, everything was fine. So I came to the conclusion that something happened with the Avast update. Bingo! Uninstaled it and everything was ok again. Downloaded and installed Avast again. Everything fine.

But today, same thing happened. A new update was found and instaled and after a few minutes, everthing was locked up again, no network, nothing... had to uninstall in safemode again and I'm trying to reinstall it right now.

Anyone else had this problem? Any idea of what is happening? Any bug on Nov 13/14 updating procedure/files?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:31:50 PM by ilonmbr »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast locks PC after nov 13/nov 14 updates
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Any recent Microsoft Windows Update?
Which is your firewall?
Any other security program that could be interfering?
Which is your avast version?
The best things in life are free.

ilonmbr

Re: Avast locks PC after nov 13/nov 14 updates
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Only after the problems, Avast is the only program with automatic updates (never set Windows to auto-update, only notify me and wait for my permission to download and install).

I use the firewall from Vista. Avast is the only security program in my PC other then the own vista stuff (firewall/defender). And it's like that since I discovered Avast years ago.

My Avast version is the current one, 4.8 (Home).

Right now I had to remove it again. Reinstalled yesterday and looked like it was ok, but when I turned off the system and turned on today, not only (for the 1st time since changing from 98/Me to XP years ago) got a message that the system had to check the integrity of the HD (chkdsk, that found errors, probably thanks to having to push the reset button a few times) but also the same thing happened... no network service, everything else hanging up.

Don't know what to do, but can't afford to install Avast again and run in the same problem for the 4th time. Don't even know whatelse to use to replace Avast while waiting for a solution to this issue. I have two other computers (1 desktop and 1 notebook) also running Avast+Vista, but nobody uses the desktop as administrator (wich makes me wonder if Avast is updating or not while in a restricted user account, need to check) and didn't use the notebook for a month now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:13:12 PM by ilonmbr »