Author Topic: Free License with parttime work?  (Read 11560 times)

dkeat

Free License with parttime work?
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »
I retired in 2002. I recently started doing a bit of work from home. I would say in terms of a fulltime job about 20%. I feel strongly about software copyrights and was wondering if I could get some feedback from Alwil as to how they feel about me continuing to use their free home license. I could switch to Comodo, but would rather not. Thanks.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Free License with parttime work?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Why would you not wanna switch to Comodo?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

dkeat

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
Comodo is a great Firewall. I've been using it for years. It is not the best AV product by a long shot. As tests have shown. Of course there is the MS AV product which is supposedly decent. But I just like Avast! I think it's a great product.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Simple just don't take the toolbar.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »
Simple just don't take the toolbar.
If you read the link i posted and specially the links provided by yokenny in there, you will see that it is more than just a toolbar

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
Give Comodo a try, you should like it. I switched to the full CIS suite with anti-virus on two XP's some eight or nine months ago. I also have Comodo firewall and HIPS (Defense+) installed on two XP's with Avast Home. All systems run great and have not been infected in this time period.

Regarding other Comodo reputation issues, Comodo has revoked all known certificates used by malware, but it would appear other certificate issuers have not.

http://www.ccssforum.org/malware-certificates.php

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink :) B.T.W. This is from http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html  Complete antivirus software for free
avast! Home Edition - Free Antivirus represents the best FREE antivirus protection currently available on the market. This edition is FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only. Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range of more suitable products providing higher data security, starting with avast! Professional Edition.

So I guess it's Pro for you.

dkeat

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply. While it would be nice to continue with Avast! it won't be Pro for me. It will be Comodo or the Microsoft offering.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Right if all you want is a AV then erm it's a toss up really as microsoft's AV is ok but not great and comodo's is the same but getting better all the time with updates every 30 minutes. If you want a suite then I guess you only have one option. Whatever you do check out both 100 per cent and make your choice. Here are some links you might need http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php (for the AV) http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php (for the suite) http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ (Microsoft's offering)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »
Hi dkeat

I "bit the bullet" a couple of years ago and bought an avast! Pro license for my work PC at the time when a 40% discount was on offer. I was just fed up with the inadequacies of the other products our company had corporate licenses for.

My order of preference:
avast! Pro (paid)
MSE (free for 'legal' Windows)
PC Tools AV (free for commercial users)
COMODO (free for commercial users)

COMODO is last not because it is not as good as MSE or PC Tools on a good day. It's just that COMODO is more accident/incident-prone than others.
As the sayiing goes, "When it is good it is very very good but when it is bad it is horrid".

Nearly forgot! Knew I'd seen the picture before. Are you responsible for this? ;D http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=167167679614#/group.php?v=info&ref=mf&gid=167167679614
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:12:01 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

dkeat

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:28:15 AM »
Thanks. I am very familiar with what's available. I would add Avira's Antivir to the top of your list as well.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
Thanks. I am very familiar with what's available. I would add Avira's Antivir to the top of your list as well.

I'll stick with avast! and V5 is coming soon.  8)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:13:13 AM by YoKenny »

normishmael

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
Telling people about the problems with Comodo seems to be of no use.
The same could be said for telling people about the problems with smoking.

But,in time,for the majority,that message has got through.

That's the best we can hope for.

Yes, it is top freeware. You can turn it down,to below free WinPatrol levels of Protection,and aside from the odd update screw up that necessitates a reinstall of Windows,you hear very little from it.

Or,you can crank up the HIPs,and spend 60% of your time answering pop-ups.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »
What problems with Comodo? I am using it and it's fine, not unless you are talking about things other then the firewall like most people on here and using it to sully the suite are you?