Author Topic: A printer problem and I need some help  (Read 9493 times)

Sia

A printer problem and I need some help
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »
Here is the problem:
I grabbed some new cartridges for my printer, and they are the right cartridges for my Lexmark x2600. While the black ink cartridge is all fine and dandy, for some reason the printer refuses to acknowledge that there is a color cartridge installed in its proper slot. I ran the little printer wizard and it tells me that my antivirus protection is blocking two .exe files that it needs in order to work. It tells me that I need to do something with the access list in order for the color cartridge to register. Now, this is where the problem comes in. I have no idea how to find the access list in Avast and I probably would not even know what to do once I found it. So, I am asking for help before I go and accidentally destroy my computer. IS there an access list of some sort, and if so where would I find it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A printer problem and I need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection and presumably this isn't the case here or you would have said.

What are the file names and there location ?

What access list are you talking of ?
If avast, then excluding the files from scanning shouldn't make any difference unless avast was actually alerting on the file/s.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security applications do you have installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sia

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »
I've had avast for years and there hasn't been a printer problem until now, which is weird.

I pasted the file names into search on my computer and they are apparently located in the system/win32

This is the message I got when I ran the Lexmark Service Center:

"The files lxdncoms.exe and lxdnwbgw.exe from the printer driver have been blocked. Allow access for these files for your printer to work properly. If you do not know how to find your Access list, contact your antivirus/firewall vendor."

Avast didn't alert on either files, so it just left me a little confused. I did have McAfee (I think) that came preinstalled with the computer, but I got rid of it a long time ago and then installed avast, which was way before I bought a printer. I got my printer sometime last year and was able to use it just fine until now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
Well as you say avast hasn't been an issue before and it shouldn't be now as it doesn't block, nor did it alert as you say.

So all I can suggest is to try this tool/s to ensure all remnants are gone - You didn't say which McAfee version, so here are the various tools:
- McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dragnlady127

Lexmark printer - Avast virus software - problem when trying to print.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:13:53 AM »
This is also a problem for me currently.  I have a Lexmark printer x4650 and since connecting it to my Acer laptop that has Windows 7 on it, I am not able to print either.  I am getting the same error message that SIA states below about blocking two programs - lxdxcoms.exe & lxdlwbgw.exe.  I have run through everything that was stated to do and that hasn't fixed the problems.  I have no other virus software on the laptop.  Does someone know how I can correct this??  Thanks!

Kim

I've had avast for years and there hasn't been a printer problem until now, which is weird.

I pasted the file names into search on my computer and they are apparently located in the system/win32

This is the message I got when I ran the Lexmark Service Center:

"The files lxdncoms.exe and lxdnwbgw.exe from the printer driver have been blocked. Allow access for these files for your printer to work properly. If you do not know how to find your Access list, contact your antivirus/firewall vendor."

Avast didn't alert on either files, so it just left me a little confused. I did have McAfee (I think) that came preinstalled with the computer, but I got rid of it a long time ago and then installed avast, which was way before I bought a printer. I got my printer sometime last year and was able to use it just fine until now.