Author Topic: Avast- Cloud Computing  (Read 8999 times)

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
Avast- Cloud Computing
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
Is avast thinking of adding cloud computing feature like panda in future...?
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

ardvark

Re: Avast- Cloud Computing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:04:47 AM »
Hi sg09...

I have no idea although I am a little curious myself. I like how cloud antivirus programs take a good deal of weight off the systems they are installed on, however, I do feel that those who are involved with this approach are really going to have fine tune and practically perfect detection and removal capabilities before this gets off the ground. Any AV taking this approach is going to have to be consistently johnny-on-the-spot in this respect because once the internet connection is brought down, that will be it. :(

Hence, a further argument for layered protection. ;)

God bless... :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:10:56 AM by ardvark »

Offline sg09

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »
Thats true.. :-[
But i think cloud AV 's use a type of "local cache" to store detections, so that they can be used when internet connection is down. So, some protection will be there..
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Review-126499.shtml

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
Thats true.. :-[
But i think cloud AV 's use a type of "local cache" to store detections, so that they can be used when internet connection is down. So, some protection will be there..
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Review-126499.shtml

Hi...

Thank you for pointing that out, the local cache will help some.

God bless... :)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »
But I still think that without a quick connection it is a big disadvantage!

Offline sg09

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
hmmmm 8)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
Panda's experment with cloud was a not good.  >:(

I don't believe in cloud. I am really scared if Microsoft embraces the idea behind Google OS. I don't want my docs and photos in their servers and which can be snooped by the government if the government declares an emergency. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:49:40 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline sg09

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »
Thats true. but i think cloud antivirus will be really useful for netbooks.

Offline sg09

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:35 AM »
Anyway.. but what about adding features like McAfee does in its Artemis technology or Norton does in SONAR? Panda and Rising and may be many others also do a similar thing. I mean that cloud computing does not always mean that make the total antivirus based on cloud computing but taking its help for some advanced detection.  ::)

pinnacle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:47 AM »
I agree cloud is the way to go to enhance overall protection and detection otherwise signature based will just add more and more weight and never keep up entirely.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
Maybe two types of Avast can be created after!
One which use update or the other is Cloud^^

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
What I'd like to see is a good cloud antivirus dedicated "appliance".  Sort of like the one built-in to untangle.

It should just act as a gateway, and use the cloud A/V to scan all traffic passing through the appliance.  A little web admin panel with some stats and reports, and we'll be set.  No more installing clients on all computers, no more using up system resources on every computer.  Have the appliance do all the work, and keep the clients clean and using their processing power for more important things.

It has to be a matter of time.  Servers centralize data and security accounts, and have done so for years.  Why not do the same for antivirus?  I'm sure someone has it in the works...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:31:21 AM »
What I'd like to see is a good cloud antivirus dedicated "appliance".  Sort of like the one built-in to untangle.

It should just act as a gateway, and use the cloud A/V to scan all traffic passing through the appliance.  A little web admin panel with some stats and reports, and we'll be set.  No more installing clients on all computers, no more using up system resources on every computer.  Have the appliance do all the work, and keep the clients clean and using their processing power for more important things.

It has to be a matter of time.  Servers centralize data and security accounts, and have done so for years.  Why not do the same for antivirus?  I'm sure someone has it in the works...

Hi...

This would be an interesting idea except for liability issues between the ISP and the customer. Who pays for damages and repair work should the appliance fail to detect a particular piece of malware? I'm not sure most folks would accept an agreement that holds the ISP harmless in the event that should happen. Also, would we be required to pay for the service? I'd rather continue to use the free antivirus on my computer. ;)

Or did you mean that each end user would own an appliance, perhaps attached to the modem or router?

May God bless you :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
I meant like a gateway device, plugged in behind a router.  Not at an ISP level, a customer network level.  Just like what untangle does.

I know it won't have a perfect detection rate, just like any other A/V product, but the point is so that you don't have to install software on every computer in the entire network and manage them all.

That said, I guess it wouldn't be very good if something got past the appliance and got on one or all of the machines, then you'd have to install some sort of a/v anyway.  But, at least you can stop most of it before it got onto your network in the first place.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
I meant like a gateway device, plugged in behind a router.  Not at an ISP level, a customer network level.  Just like what untangle does.

I know it won't have a perfect detection rate, just like any other A/V product, but the point is so that you don't have to install software on every computer in the entire network and manage them all.

That said, I guess it wouldn't be very good if something got past the appliance and got on one or all of the machines, then you'd have to install some sort of a/v anyway.  But, at least you can stop most of it before it got onto your network in the first place.

Hi...

Ah, ok, got it. :)

That sounds a lot more feasible and I imagine one could get away with just installing something like Immunet Protect on each PC (which runs pretty light) with such an appliance. Let's see what happens, I'm one who, like you and I assume many others, feels the approach taken (or model) with most AV and security software needs to change.

God bless :)