Author Topic: Windows not genuine anymore?  (Read 41193 times)

elledee

Windows not genuine anymore?
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
OK, the alarm sounded, I ran what was suggested, which was to move everything to the chest.  There they sit--what do I do with them??  Also, after the scan, which took a looooong time, I now have a message at the bottom right of my desktop that states "Windows Vista TM     Build 6002   This copy of Windows is not genuine." My version came with the laptop when I bought it...what's up with that??????  :-\  Help!  thanks!  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:22:51 PM by Vlk »

Hermite15

Re: Windows not genuine anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
restore whatever you find in the Chest now...
see if some windows activation files are in the Chest too (wpa.dbl)...not sure it could have been wrongly detected though, most likely something went wrong with your time zones...check this too...call Microsoft and report your activation issue...if all fails, try a system restore to sometime before the bad avast update happened, then if needed... reinstall Windows (you must have a recovery partition)
 Hope you updated avast to the latest VPS if not do it now. Report back to tell us how things go. Avoid scanning again if your avast isn't updated.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:36:33 PM by Logos »

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
re:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
enter safe mode and restore the files in the chest
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:03:59 AM »
sh, have you tried opening the chest in safe mode?

elledee
, Safe is not required. Make sure your VPS is updated, then re-scan the files from within the chest (right-click, select scan in each case) and using the same right-click method, restore them (in turn) if/when they scan clean.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
How to tell whether your software is genuine
http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/default.aspx

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
How to tell whether your software is genuine
http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/default.aspx

off topic here sorry, his Windows, according to what the OP says, is genuine, and something screwed the activation check... this happens on "very" genuine Windows, I've seen it happen  ::)

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
re:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
the key is encrypted inside registry?
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

elledee

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Thanks to all who posted here, your quick responses are greatly appreciated.  I restored the files as directed, and so far all seems well 8)...but it sure is reassuring to know that if there are any further issues, help is available!  Thank you all again!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »
Hi readers of this thread,

This could be a useful tool to evaluate:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/3/3/533A40BE-936B-4267-B043-2F04233A78A6/MGADiag.exe

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »
reinstalling the system is gonna be solvin the problem. this is a bug of vista.

don't know if you were just guessing but indeed, I've seen that happen once, and that was in Vista. Only way out was a reinstall.

madfit

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
I was told by microsoft for windows 7, if your new computer came loaded with windows 7, and you had to reimage for any reason or any other problem, they will reset your office 7 and/or windows 7, so that it will work when you purchased computer.  :D  Hope this helps.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »
spammer was posting in this thread - since been deleted - sorry folks, shud have left it to the mods (will next time)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:01:00 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Dijidog

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
What happened to the system? I would be interested in knowing what to look for if this happens. Was it a virus? ???

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
@ Dijidog

I would go to Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your yahoo.com email address.

Why post to something posted April 12, 2010, 02:35:28 AM  ???

TRC042

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
The exact same thing happened to me!  After extensive online research, I discovered that there is a thread on the Microsoft.com social forums regarding the "not genuine" issue and G Data antivirus.  I understand G Data uses Avast technology.  I can't help but wonder if the issue extends beyond G Data; ie is it the Avast components of G Data that are the cause?

I found a workaround to get my Windows 7 "re-activated", but it was a royal pain in the behind.  Had I known that restoring the two items in my Avast chest might have fixed the issue, I could have saved hours of work and research.  I have to tell you, getting strong-armed to buy a new license (in my case close to $400 with Ultimate 64 bit) after paying for my OS was not pleasant.  They already have a monopoly, does Microsoft really have to over-build their anti-piracy measures to the point that legitimate users have to face this kind of thing???

The G Data issue thread is here:http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/8e047dc1-ddfc-47a6-a40a-e60a84817d92

Is there any connection to the G Data problem and Avast 5.0???  If anybody DOES have an answer to this, please let the rest of us know.  I think Avast is a great product, but if it causes Windows 7 and Vista to de-activate, then Avast needs to fix this problem post-haste.