Author Topic: Windows 7 x64 Crashes  (Read 14890 times)

Hermite15

Re: Windows 7 x64 Crashes
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
OK I'll check this thread tomorrow, it's 1.15 am here  ;)

DarkMessenger31

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
I did both of those tasks/tests and both returned with no issues. (With exception to this warning which wasn't severe.)

Warning 

Severity: Informational
Symptom: Missing Events in Event Log
Details: Investigate why 45% (16,724) events were lost during data collection. The settings for Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) maximum buffers and buffer size may not be optimal depending on which data sets are being collected.
Related: Event Tracing for Windows

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
then can you launch manually the event log: right click "My Computer", manage, event viewer, windows events, look there in applications and system and take a look at anything in red, errors, warnings, critical...

DarkMessenger31

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
Let me start by thanking you for all your help and saying. While I do have a basic understanding of computers and their inner workings, my knowledge is purely self-taught from  issues such as this. I do, however, have a limit and I'm definitely beginning to believe it's not application based and it's actually hardware based. From day 1 I've had issues with some of the hardware in the Laptop. Including, the wireless card - upon booting up the PC initially, the wireless card (even though on) would not pick up a wireless signal. I had to go into the device manager and manually disconnect/reconnect the card to get it to start working (after updating the driver). This issue has not stopped. I am going to return and exchange (for the same one) the laptop @ BestBuy considering the multitude of issues I've had since I've opened it. What I've done is below to see if for one final time I can fix the issue and my own observations from when the freezing occurs.

I've looked around, and started from the 1st when I purchased the PC. I found a several instances in the System Events that showed where I had to hard boot the system, however, nothing in the System Log that showed something crashing except from when I first installed Avast! It reported the program "The avast! Antivirus service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly." - So naturally that would have been the problem early on, however, since I've still had the freezing problem post Avast! uninstall I have to think it's coming from elsewhere.

I didn't find one other thing that really struck me as off in the System, while not an event. It is a warning that I don't completely understand why it's happening.

"The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 804 seconds since the last report."

From what I'm reading here, the system itself is limiting the speed of my processor. I'm assuming it's limited it's speed to prevent overclocking/overheating. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I fished through the Application Log and from what I can tell nothing is causing the system to crash there. I've been observing what is going on more thoroughly since I've begun to do all of this. From what I've observed. The PC crashes when 1) I'm playing a game on the laptop (MMOs mainly). 2) A notification bar pops up from the Task Bar (*However, this doesn't cause it all the time. Only certain programs have made it crash. e.g. Avast! and Yahoo! Messenger). It's also crashed RIGHT after a start-up with nothing running, however, this has stopped since I uninstalled Avast!. The PC has crashed once since the uninstall.

My assumptions are hardware failure (Graphics/Wireless Cards), but I would assume this would have shown up in the event log. Overheating, event log also though. Or a piece of software installed (I've uninstalled everything that was causing a conflict, but it froze soon after all the uninstalls were done).

I know this is a lot to read, but it's also my last try to pinpoint the issue before I exchange. (Though if I have the same issue, I'll probably be right back here.) I am on CST, but considering I'm up @ 4:09 AM. I doubt I'll be returning it first thing in the morning here

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
if you got serious doubts about the hardware ability to function properly, back up whatever personal data you might have saved on HDD since the date of purchase, wipe it and RMA the laptop. Should be no problem as you just acquired it. This said I'm a bit surprised about the possible hardware failure, ASUS being an extremely serious company...well, laptops are not as reliable as desktops in general, not much more more I could say.
 What about an OS reinstall first ?

DarkMessenger31

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
I could try that. The backing up wouldn't be hard. Since I've only had it for about a week the only stuff I have on it is Music and a few Pics I already have on my old laptop. Everything else can be reinstalled Via internet or CD/DVD-ROM.

I'd think it was software installed post-purchase, but I haven't installed anything out of the ordinary.

Yahoo! Messenger, Avast! (which has been uninstalled for testing purposes), Skype, FFXI, FireFox browser, iTunes,  and LimeWire. Of which the only ones that had caused a crash to my knowledge is Yahoo! Messenger, and Avast!

My concern is that it COULD be either the Graphic's Card (cause I have seen brand new cards be bad,  it happens w/ Mass Production.) And unfortunately for me, I don't have anyone close at had to take a look at it. And over Forum, you can only do so much without being able to look at it first hand.

Any other suggestions before I decide to run it back to BestBuy (also, I plan on seeing if they can take a look at it to figure out something perhaps I missed. Since it is under 14 days old. It's either that or they give me a new one and take a nearly $1300 defect in).

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »
I'd ask for a new one; don't ask them to attempt any sort of repair, you might get either nothing fixed while they'll tell you it's OK, or worse other issues happening with the time. If it's that new, no question, ask for a replacement. Just be careful you don't get a refurbished device, check that.
 Normally many retailers don't even bother to check anything when a device is under warranty, they just give you another one. That's what would have happened with my laptop if I had had a major issue (mine is less than 1 year old).
 Again, you can always attempt a new Windows installation before you decide, just to make sure. Avoid installing any third party stuff/crap from the manufacturers, just Windows and drivers either from WinUpdate or manufacturer site (Asus stuff only for components exclusively provided by Asus, ie when the drivers are not available elsewhere).
 Yeah, by the way, did you check if you have may be some Asus (windows) software running and controlling the mainboard, fans, CPU/GPU frequency etc...there could also be something wrong set there since you mentioned a CPU limitation issue...check the bios too.
 You can also make sure in MSConfig that your CPU cores are in use when booting Windows.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:42:49 PM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
check this: the CPU box must be unchecked

DarkMessenger31

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
There actually IS something controlling that to my knowledge. There was a preloaded program "Turbo Gear" that can automatically overclock the processor. However, it's set to standard (I've never touched it). I've shut this down to see if it helped before, however, the PC still managed to freeze post shutdown. Well, then I suppose I'll take it back and exchange it this afternoon. Cause I doubt I'll be up early in the morning.

DarkMessenger31

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Figured I'd stop in to give a little update.

I returned the other laptop to the store today and exchanged it out for the exact same model. So far I've had no issues at all (including original issues I'd had with the previous Wireless Card). I've been able to install Avast! and the other programs without a single issue. Guess it was something in the other PC.

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »
yeah the was a big change the hardware was the issue, as your windows install was also too new to cause such issues...nice you got it replaced  ;)