Author Topic: issue with win32:roothkit-gen (rtk)  (Read 11107 times)

micky77

Re: issue with win32:roothkit-gen (rtk)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »
Yes this looks like a tdss rootkit, Drweb is well worth trying as its had some success recently.( it can repair infectedlegit sys files,like atapi.sys ) As for Rootrepeal Open the program > click report > scan > tick all the boxes > ok > tick C drive, post the log as an attachment in 'additional Options.'
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:22:48 AM by micky77 »

james_uk

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
hi, thanks for your reply, i am running dr web as we speak, it has initialy found what it says is a backdoor.tdss.565 in the system32\svchost.exe file although i am still gettin avast sayin it keeps finding the same issues in the temp file, dr web says its eradicated this issue but still seems its coming back, i did do a quick scan with dr web before and it found the same as i have just decribed as above in the system32 folder, so it seems when it fixes the problem it just comes back somehow.

i have joined the forum that was mentioned and awaiting feedback from there.

also rootrepeal will not work on my laptop, each time i open it i get errors saying differnet thigns have failed to load, and as i try to do a scan it says it cant find the driver to work, i even got a blue screen from tryin to use it.

dr web is doing a ful scan at the mo and seemed like its gonna take a good hour or more to finish, i will let you know how i get on, this software has at least fond something in my system32 folder anyway, just makes me wonder why avast cant?

micky77

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 07:23:39 AM »
I should have suggested running DrWeb in safe mode, sorry

james_uk

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
thanks i will try in safe mode later, i am in work at the moment, i had left the house this morning with my laptop doing a boot scan with avast, dr web didnt get rid of the problem running in windows normal mode, will try safe mode later though, i really want to clean this without having to fo a format

micky77

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 05:22:18 PM »
Only use the f8 key method to enter safe mode, NOT msconfigMake sure you download the newest version of DrWeb.The initial scan is a quick one.When it has finished, do a complete one then reboot.
If this fails , the only other options are Combofix, which has been removed temporarily from bleeping computer because of issues with a rootkit ( probably yours  ;D )  So you will have to wait until its sorted.

The other tool  (which I am unfamiliar with), is TDSS Killer from Kaspersky
Someone on the other forum may help or suggest that http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:40:15 PM by micky77 »

james_uk

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
Hi, just a quick update, hopefuly im not replying to fast lol

i have run avast boot scan while ive been at work, when i got in i rebooted and downloaded tdss killer as suggested by micky, im doubting avast boot scanner found anything, maybe it did i dont know, but tdss did find something within 1 second and only took about 2 secs to finish, after it finished it showed 2 objects in memory and said it had got rid of them, up to now nothin seems to have popped up from avast, and i have re-run tdss and its not found anything since.

so it looks good for now, thank you very much for everyones advice :) will be back im sure if anything comes back.

james

micky77

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
I would still try DrWeb again to see if anything shows.Also if you posted on Geeks to go, please follow it up, they have many experts  :)