Author Topic: Comodo Time Machine: warning thread!  (Read 7987 times)

Hermite15

Comodo Time Machine: warning thread!
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Never been tempted to even try it. So for those who would be, be aware:
https://forums.comodo.com/beta_corner_ctm/ctm_was_causing_severe_damage_to_ntfs_file_system-t48900.0.html;msg351616#msg351616

this seems to be confirmed by several users. One last thing, CIS 4 (beta to be released soon) will be able to work in conjunction with CTM if installed. If not then it will work somehow with Windows Restore Points. My advice for potential testers, forget CTM  ;D

timcan

Re: Comodo Time Machine: warning thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
Never been tempted to even try it. So for those who would be, be aware:
https://forums.comodo.com/beta_corner_ctm/ctm_was_causing_severe_damage_to_ntfs_file_system-t48900.0.html;msg351616#msg351616

this seems to be confirmed by several users. One last thing, CIS 4 (beta to be released soon) will be able to work in conjunction with CTM if installed. If not then it will work somehow with Windows Restore Points. My advice for potential testers, forget CTM  ;D

Hi, seems you have to be a member to read that link given.
I trial-ed an earlier  beta version some time ago and found it to work rather well. For me anyway.  :) JMO ctm worked just as well at that time as
my eaz-fix and rollback rx programs (of which ctm is a variant of).
Maybe all the changes comodo is making to the program isn't for the better.I'm sure results can vary.  :)

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
I'm registered there yes (I knew someone here would notice this was required to access the beta section ;D) , and I still don't consider myself a member of this community...just browsing off and on  ::)

edit: Comodo doesn't have the required competences to cover many software fields...browser, rollback stuff etc...they should stick to what they're good at. But I guess they'll never know that  :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:48:47 PM by Logos »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »
edit: Comodo doesn't have the required competences to cover many software fields...browser, rollback stuff etc...they should stick to what they're good at. But I guess they'll never know that  :D
You get what you pay for.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:07:19 AM »
You get what you pay for

;D :D 8) :o ???

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:16 AM »
Thanks for the link, Logos. Beta users are (or should be) aware of the dangers of using unfinished products.

But in this case, it appears to be the type of program rather than the program itself. It's a given that rollback/restore programs have never been 100% effective and should only be used in emergency situations. This matter was then complicated by running chkdisk after restoring a snapshot from a corrupted system.

Motto: Use imaging software backups for system restores. I use a branded version of Acronis called MaxBlast5 (freeware to Seagate/Maxtor drive owners), which works well. :)

cinchez

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
Here we go again, Beta are for Pros...not for everyone to try on^^

-AnimeLover^^

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
Thanks for the link, Logos. Beta users are (or should be) aware of the dangers of using unfinished products.

But in this case, it appears to be the type of program rather than the program itself. It's a given that rollback/restore programs have never been 100% effective and should only be used in emergency situations. This matter was then complicated by running chkdisk after restoring a snapshot from a corrupted system.

Motto: Use imaging software backups for system restores. I use a branded version of Acronis called MaxBlast5 (freeware to Seagate/Maxtor drive owners), which works well. :)

agreed, adding that this type of program is also very specific, and I can't see a second Comodo becoming a serious competitor for Acronis for instance, these guys are freaking dreaming  ::)

timcan

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:19:06 AM »
First of all let me say I'm not a comodo fanboy  :) but give credit  where credit is due.
CTM is final now http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php and I've installed it again.
This program works exactly the same as rollback rx & eaz fix which I paid $$ for, but is free.(No toolbars or anything during install)
JMO I say well done to comodo, but as I said earlier in this thread results can vary.
This type of program is perfect for trialing different programs (just reboot to a previous snapshot if things didn't workout).
Just an example: See screenshot, I have 3 antivirus programs installed on C drive.   :)

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »
yeah...after I saw it was final now a bit earlier, I was thinking about giving it a shot. I just fear data corruption...I might try it after a complete backup, later.