Author Topic: What is the recommended way to upgrade to avast 5?  (Read 16842 times)

Go Pack Go

What is the recommended way to upgrade to avast 5?
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
Should I run the installer exe with 4.8 installed or should I uninstall avast 4.8, reboot than install from the installer exe?

Thanks.

Also, should I use my existing free registration keys or will I need to re-register on all of my computers?

sded

Re: What is the recommended way to upgrade to avast 5?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
I preferred to uninstall and reinstall, although Vlk says an over the top install of 4.8 should work.  The settings are so different that there is little to salvage from 4.8.  As far as registration, Alwil has gone to online registration now, so each of your copies will be registered over the internet instead of having to request and enter a key.

azxdaq

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
From avast! 5.0 FAQ

Is it required to uninstall avast! 4.x before installing avast! 5.0?

Yes, but there isn't necessary any user interaction to uninstall avast! 4.x, because installer of avast! 5.0 is able to detect previous instance of avast! 4.x and uninstall it automatically.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »
The FAQ is right.

Reinstalling on top of the existing version has one big advantage, actually: you keep the registration/subscription info.
I.e. your Free AV registration, or Pro AV subscription information will be picked up by v5 automatically.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I would really like to upgrade Avast Home 4.8 to Avast Free 5.0 by clicking on "Updating --> Program Update". When will this be available? Thank you!  :)

PS: When will the documentation (manuals) for v5 be available?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:38:24 PM by Bellzemos »
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »
The load has to be spread so that the servers aren't swamped...
The actual upgrade campaign will take a few months (you may not getting a popup until after 2 months or so) - we can't handle it faster due to huge load on our servers.

So, if you want v5 now, you can download it manually and install it over the existing v4.8 installation.

-Scott-

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
The FAQ is right.

Reinstalling on top of the existing version has one big advantage, actually: you keep the registration/subscription info.
I.e. your Free AV registration, or Pro AV subscription information will be picked up by v5 automatically.
I would assume, then, that over-installing is really the only way to upgrade to 5 on my wife's computer (no internet access)? With previous versions of home/free, I could simply copy-and-paste my reg code into hers.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
The FAQ is right.

I would assume, then, that over-installing is really the only way to upgrade to 5 on my wife's computer (no internet access)? With previous versions of home/free, I could simply copy-and-paste my reg code into hers.

With v5, you can still enter the very same key as in the case of v4.8. This is meant especially for cases like this (offline computers)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
Thanks, Vlk.  I guess I got confused by a comment elsewhere that v5 would switch to requiring online registration ... I'm still not clear what happens with her computer when my defs-update reg expires this summer and I renew it.

Or did I misread that other one I referred to, and the online registration is only going to be necessary for the Pro/paid version?  That does make sense, after all ... the whole point in that case is to help cut down on pirating, as opposed to the free version which I think is only to let you get statistics on users.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

cazoza

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »
Ive upgraded my avast pro 4.8 version to 5.0.377, as Vlk said, on top the old version and after that, my pc frozen, and i lost my internet connection. And besides of that, avast 5 didn saved my reg key or info. So it was in trial mode. Why??

And now i had to uninstall it. And thanks god i have a backup of my 4.8 installer. So i will install it. Plz Vlk, why is this happening? Is there a way to insert the 4.8 key in ver 5?? How to do it? Thankz.

HA Nut

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:39 PM »
With v5, you can still enter the very same key as in the case of v4.8. This is meant especially for cases like this (offline computers)
I know you know your product but this does not work this way. I had to revert back to 4.8 Pro to have a valid, licensed copy. The License upgrade link in the V 5 program leads to a password protected dead end.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »
If you click update program (not VPS) in 4.8, will it not download and install v5 over 4.8 automatically  ???
and read the license key from 4.8  ???

HA Nut

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »
If you click update program (not VPS) in 4.8, will it not download and install v5 over 4.8 automatically  ???

No and I don't feel it's ready to offer it that way yet. All you get with a program update request is the signature definitions (if 4.8 is already up-to-date.)

Jack 1000

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »

No and I don't feel it's ready to offer it that way yet. All you get with a program update request is the signature definitions (if 4.8 is already up-to-date.)

Right,

The Automatic Update notification probably won't be out for several months, because when that happens, Avast will want to make sure that the transition is very smooth and that everything works.  Probably another three months.  This is only the first day with 5.0 and during those months, I am sure Avast will be doing product evaluations and reviews.

My guess is that probably within 6 months, but no more than 12, Avast 4.8 will no longer be supported and everyone will have to go to version 5.

Jack

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
Ive upgraded my avast pro 4.8 version to 5.0.377, as Vlk said, on top the old version and after that, my pc frozen, and i lost my internet connection. And besides of that, avast 5 didn saved my reg key or info. So it was in trial mode. Why??

And now i had to uninstall it. And thanks god i have a backup of my 4.8 installer. So i will install it. Plz Vlk, why is this happening? Is there a way to insert the 4.8 key in ver 5?? How to do it? Thankz.

Sounds like you used the IS installer on top of the Pro AV (this is how it behaves)

If you click update program (not VPS) in 4.8, will it not download and install v5 over 4.8 automatically  ???

Not yet, the upgrade campaign will be rolling out continuously for the next 2-3 months

and read the license key from 4.8  ???

Yes it should.

Thanks
Vlk