Author Topic: Can you fix this problem?  (Read 10168 times)

Light Archangel

Can you fix this problem?
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Well done for the new Avast 5!!  ;D but i found a problem  :(
Downloading the eicar test
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
and creating a Notepad with the eicar test With extension ".com" (in my desktop)
Avast detected very well and blocked, But after that shows a window saying "Avast has detected a Virus in the operating memory" and ask me to make the boot scan!!  ???

Then i made it, no infection was found.
I tried again with the eicar test and again the Window saying "Avast has detected a Virus in the operating memory" when minutes before was finished the boot scan  ???

Please, fix this problem, other users can think that really they have a virus in the operating memory every time that the File system shield detect something!!  :(

And please make all the fixes in the products in others languages too, i speak spanish and all Latinoamericans too!!  ;D

Give a try making the eicar.com test file in your desktop and closing the notification of "MALWARE BLOCKED..."

Muchisimas gracias por hacer de Avast tan buen antivirus  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:22:06 AM by Light Archangel »

Torriceli

Re: Can you fix this problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
Same here.Please do something about this.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »
It should be a bugs in detecting the file in a wrong directory and maybe also a FP :(
Vlk please try to see the problem and correct it in the next update if possible please :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »
The same "operating memory" warning appeared for me as well (Avast v.5.0.377.Release)
I have been ignoring the warning assuming this must Be a glitch!!
Also, as mentioned on a earlier post during beta runs....... Avast is not "EXCLUDING" a single file.(apparently avast on excludes Folders and then writing in exception on the single file is required...too much hassle and requires a certain level of computer knowledge many people don't have.
Can this also be picked up?? 8)

Defiance

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »
Yep ! Same problem here too. After detecting and blocking eicar.com file avast prmpts me to pefrom a full boot time scan since a virus was found active in the memory. This pop up also appears after having completed the quick scan and detected eicar or a false positive again in the results.

Light Archangel

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
This only occurs with the eicar test and FP's or in real virus infections too?
 ???

And other thing: When you Right-Clic the icon in the taskbar and select "Show last popup message" is the same thing!!  :(

Please correct this...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:48:12 AM by Light Archangel »

jaikrishna

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:29 AM »
NO, it happened for me too.
I made a quick scan and avast found a virus in system restore folder.
In a minute or so the message appeared.
This is too bad and needs to be solved soon

Torriceli

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38:52 PM »
This problem is still here and no answer for anybody.Hellooooooooooooooooooo............

Light Archangel

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »
Avast is very good, And i hope that this little problems can be corrected  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »
When you created this eicar file, I believe that what you were working on, e.g. the eicar string and document were in memory, triggering the suggested boot-time scan as a result of the detection on the newly created file.

I have had that when other things have been detected (before I excluded my samples folder) and I know for a fact that at the time there was nothing running in memory other than what avast may have put their. So I too believe this to be a bug, which I hope will be quickly squashed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Defiance

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
DavidR: I did not created my eicar file. Just had it in a folder for future detections and possible testing of antivirus engines.
The file was certainly not active into memory. This probably is a bug. The same applies here for the potentially unwanted files even when they are not loaded into memory.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Your comment in the first post reads differently to me then.
Quote from: Defiance
and creating a Notepad with the eicar test With extension ".com" (in my desktop)

In any case there is a likelihood that it was still in memory, being in memory and active in memory I don't believe makes any difference to avast if it scans RAM.

I'm not sure even if there is a difference in windows either, you can load stuff into RAM in preparation for use, to speed processes, etc. but I don't think there is a distinction between in (loaded) or active (in use).

As I said, I feel it is a possible bug as I hadn't loaded any of my samples into RAM. They were dormant in a folder, detected by an on-demand scan. So any relationship to there being in memory would be if avast's scan in scanning them somehow loaded them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lister

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
Downloading the eicar.com triggered the 'operating in memory' for me. the text sstring was never in the clipboard and I never tried to run the file.

Plus the notification was hidden by another window; if this was a virus, surely it should stay on top of all other windows?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
I think that they are meant to stay on top, but I guess it would depend on what the other window was. If that were stay on top, like task manager, etc. only one could be on top.

lister

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Well, the other windows open were the avast interface and a Windows Explorer window.