Author Topic: avast Most Current Version of Free AV 5 -Freezes everything  (Read 6475 times)

MAYBOB

avast Most Current Version of Free AV 5 -Freezes everything
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »
a complete freeze
with hour glass.
Had to hold the power off button to shutdown

This happened 3 times in 2 days, so i went back to version 4
and will try again  in 2 months
--------------------------------------

Windows XP  SP3 with the windows one-way firewall
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:39:52 AM by May_Bob »

Marc999

Re: avast Most Current Version of Free AV 5 -Freezes everything
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
I've had the exact same problem.  You're not alone
Win XP SP3, ZoneAlarm.

PhilR

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:07 AM »
Try uninstalling the Behaviour Shield.  Avast 5 seems OK without it here, but I get random BSODs with it installed and active.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
@ May_Bob

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature to help the hepers help you.

@ Marc999

ZoneAlarm has to be re-trained for the V5 updated modules.

Marc999

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
@YoKenny   Zone-Alarm always prompts me with appropriate pop-ups when it learns a new program.  No problem there. 

I had the entire system freeze up wherein even ctrl-alt-del wouldn't help at all.   I had this occur 3-4 times in a row upon manually rebooting computer which was my only option.  Even the desktop icons nor taskbar icons failed to show up.  On one occasion when it did boot correctly to desktop, Firefox wouldn't open.  System hung.  In Windows Explorer, I couldn't end the Firefox process.   Perhaps I should be doing something special within Zone Alarm that I have never had to do before with any other program?

I gave up on 5.0.377 for now. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.8.  Works like a charm.

If the problem does appear to be the new Behavior shield, I'll wait until Alwil sorts out the kinks.  I thought the point to this new version was the Behavior shield?

Anyways, I'll reinstall Threatfire for now, for that behavior checking.

MAYBOB

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
@ May_Bob

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature to help the hepers help you. 

----------------------------

Thanks YoKenny
I just updated profile
----------------------------

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:12 AM »
I had the same issue when I first installed it, 5 TIMES with a freeze and having to shutdown via the power button.  It happened when I used the Help settings and browsed the different sections of the interface.

I have the free version, which I installed over 4.8 for the reason of keeping my license key intact.  That part worked.

I also ran the Check Disk system utility to clean up and fix any errors potentially from the freeze.  Fortunately, none were found.

The workaround (for now) is upon reboot, DON'T OPEN THE AVAST INTERFACE FOR ABOUT 1-2 MINUTES.  Let Avast "Call Home", check for updates, do its thing, which takes that amount of time.  After letting the new version do that, I was able to browse without system hang.

There are too many people who are understandingly clicking on the interface too fast after rebooting, and I think this is part of the freezing problem.  I've addressed that this issue needs to be the first bug fix that the programmers need to address.

Also, I have not had a need to reboot since doing this, but under the Basic Settings, UNCHECK the option that says something like "Use advanced interface."  It even says that on some systems, with that checked, it may slow things done.  It says changes will take place after restart.

Techs, what actually changes in the GUI if this option IS unchecked?

A HUGE plus is that I can "feel" its lighter side to the use of memory and less resources used than 4.8.  There's one less icon in the system tray and less sub-menus compared to 4.8.  Once that reboot issue is better resolved, this will be a great AV program!

Jack

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:27:54 AM »
Thanks YoKenny
I just updated profile

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (care required now it is a suite not to install the anti-virus element), PCTools Firewall Plus, Online Armor and recently released, Outpost Firewall free 6.5 (2009)

Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used (Defense+), so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security