Author Topic: Avast 5 Update Problem[Freeze System]  (Read 7439 times)

Stewdza

Avast 5 Update Problem[Freeze System]
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »
Hi,
I downloaded Avast 5, and i have big problem :(
When Avast try to update virus definitions(auto-update) my system is freeze everything. This is only when Avast downloading updates, and i must restart system via button. After restart, when no more downloads to download, everything is ok.
Please, help me, I am "on" Avast 3 years, and this is first problem i have with it.

Also, Avast was freeze my system when i installed it, when "Finishing Setup" message been on instalation process.
Help me,
Thanks.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Avast 5 Update Problem[Freeze System]
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
What OS do you use? Vista, XP, WIn 7 ect?
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Stewdza

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
I am using Windows XP.  ???

icr

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
Even I am facing the same problem using same OS also ???

nigel1

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
Hi - I had the same problem with Avast 5 Pro - as an upgrade its a disaster, I have gone back to Avast 4 that works.

Awil Software have released a bad product!

I would wait for at least a month until they have fixed the issues!

I was using Windows 7 Professional 64bit - with the Avast 4 settings of using it as a proxy server
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:25:25 PM by nigel1 »

icr

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Installed the latest version now it is working actually there might be problem with .366 version not with .377

nigel1

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
It was version 377 that I had the problem with - downloaded at GMT 6:30 ish from Avast site 23/1/10.

As far as I am concerned with the trouble its caused me, and the fact that the "update" to a later version only allows you to do if you have 3 PCs as well as "cutting" the date - its put me off being loyal to Avast!  They need to "compensate" loyal customers for their software faults!

Also System Restore after the Avast5 install would not go back to the earlier position - some of the Avast 4 files were missing - and you could not install version 4 before in my case I had to Uninstall Avast 5, Install Avast 5, Uninstall Avast 5, then I could go back to something that works Avast 4!

Stewdza

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
I already have 377 version.
Can someone help me with my problem?  ???

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:17:23 AM »
It was version 377 that I had the problem with - downloaded at GMT 6:30 ish from Avast site 23/1/10.

As far as I am concerned with the trouble its caused me, and the fact that the "update" to a later version only allows you to do if you have 3 PCs as well as "cutting" the date - its put me off being loyal to Avast!  They need to "compensate" loyal customers for their software faults!

Also System Restore after the Avast5 install would not go back to the earlier position - some of the Avast 4 files were missing - and you could not install version 4 before in my case I had to Uninstall Avast 5, Install Avast 5, Uninstall Avast 5, then I could go back to something that works Avast 4!

Make a clean install of Avast 5. Remove Avast 4, reboot, use the uninstaller tool, reboot, install version 5, reboot
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Stewdza

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm tired. I have try many times to fix it, but nothing. I must use another AV software  >:(

cazoza

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
I have the same problem, with the 5 pro also! What a mess, but until today, there are no official words from alwil, i dont know when are they going to release a new version. Some knows??
But at least i can install 5 free.

fhoegler43

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:08 PM »
I'm tired. I have try many times to fix it, but nothing. I must use another AV software  >:(

Same problems here. What I did was to try to reinstall 5.377. A window came up to "UNINSTALL" this worked. I then downloaded 4.8 and am using it and everything is OK now. I going to wait untill this gets fixed. A complete disaster at least on XP SP3 machines.