Author Topic: avast 5 removal tool  (Read 248222 times)

yaslaw

avast 5 removal tool
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »

spg SCOTT

Re: avast 5 removal tool
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
Well, since it has been stickied, I guess that answers my question from the blog... ::)

Quote from: Me on the blog...
@Pavel Mourek
Is this removal tool good for avast! 5?

Could we also suggest it in the forums, as people are asking for one specific to version 5…
http://blog.avast.com/2010/01/19/the-new-avast-logo/#comment-2609

Wonder when it will become official...(i.e. available from the website...)

-Scott-

ja37

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »
Many thanks for this, some of the people help over the phone can't see or hear well, and this will make it faster and easier than the ad-remove programs tool in windows.

I don't mind the work, but, I don't like to look bad for recommending a program that turns bad.

I am fully read for giving feedback if avast wants it for the 30 years experience in repairs, and building specialized systems for handicapped and special needs.

For those who set up the program update feature to auto, I would hope avast can trigger a double check in the scripting to intervene and give enough info so people who can't handle the recovery on their own will say no and keep what they have.

I do want to thank avast for the years excellence, and I pray they keep it up, and get back inline with the way things were.

Tyreman

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
So I download the removal tool to the desktop, go into safe mode and avast removal tool is not there....on the desktop in safe mode?
go out of safe mode back to normal its there of course but won't run
On as admin
Any ideas

PhilR

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
So I download the removal tool to the desktop, go into safe mode and avast removal tool is not there....on the desktop in safe mode?
go out of safe mode back to normal its there of course but won't run
On as admin
Any ideas
Try downloading it to C:\

Easily found whoever's profile you're in :)

alghorabaaa

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »
Works with me under WinXP but didn't delete the main directory of the program :
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software

hyjaxltd

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe

The above file is detected as malware by norton but not in the VT
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/1467dbe2b793bc930a585a8e9fd2683398a2926b7ac4d93c5bd88c04779f7da2-1264582109
Not to start with a silly question but have you already ran the 'uninstaller' before you loaded your Norton on your system?

As well, it seems its simply letting you know a file in an area not normally removed from is being removed  I can see that this 'alert' is happening after aswclear execution so Norton is simply alerting you to the 'deep' changes the Avast cleaner is making.

I see nothing in your screen shot saying Norton thinks its Malware...in fact Norton tells you the file is safe, again, as far as the alert its simply due to the deep cleaning aswclear performs.

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION...If anyone can describe whats happeneing here better please do.  But thats what I see going on....nothing harmful, and Norton even says so with its BIG GREEN CHECKMARK.

icr

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
Not to start with a silly question but have you already ran the 'uninstaller' before you loaded your Norton on your system?

As well, it seems its simply letting you know a file in an area not normally removed from is being removed  I can see that this 'alert' is happening after aswclear execution so Norton is simply alerting you to the 'deep' changes the Avast cleaner is making.

I see nothing in your screen shot saying Norton thinks its Malware...in fact Norton tells you the file is safe, again, as far as the alert its simply due to the deep cleaning aswclear performs.

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION...If anyone can describe whats happeneing here better please do.  But thats what I see going on....nothing harmful, and Norton even says so with its BIG GREEN CHECKMARK.

Actually the file is safe even I know that but there was a norton pop up as soon as the download was complete I didn't even run the tool.

Also the GREEN checkmark doesn't mean that it is always safe I have posted the screens of a threat that has GREEN checkmark but its definitely a malware(took it from MDL)

EDIT: Also I have sent the file to symantec haven't got replied about the result but my file is accepted for analysis and I will get the answer shortly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:12:10 PM by icr »

sunbirdbudz

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Many thanks for this, some of the people help over the phone can't see or hear well, and this will make it faster and easier than the ad-remove programs tool in windows.

I don't mind the work, but, I don't like to look bad for recommending a program that turns bad.

I am fully read for giving feedback if avast wants it for the 30 years experience in repairs, and building specialized systems for handicapped and special needs.

For those who set up the program update feature to auto, I would hope avast can trigger a double check in the scripting to intervene and give enough info so people who can't handle the recovery on their own will say no and keep what they have.

I do want to thank avast for the years excellence, and I pray they keep it up, and get back inline with the way things were.

tHANK you ja73, I am disabled as well and this is driving me up a wall..why did hey release this so soon?  I downloaded it from Avast! website...now its gone..oh, dear..I have no antivirus and cannot get this mess off my machine..it says it is in use...and that is after all the uninstallers were run and the machine restarted...what a mess they created.
sunbirdbudz

Tyreman

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Ran the Avast cleaning  tool in safe mode but it sure doesn't remove all the leftovers by a long shot :(
i also used resplendent registry and jv 16 power tools to get out the leftovers and ascertain all was removed after the use of the avast cleanup tool and rebooting back into safe mode.
I ran resplendent and jv in safe mode to clean it up.
All is well now on another av
keep in mind this was with XP pro 32 bit all service paks and updates onboard, had frequent blue screens after new avast onboard.
had tried a subsequent clean install but still no go.

Other systems with Vista 32 and 7 64 are fine with new avast.

mikhalek

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »
Worked good to me, then cleaned with CCleaner and installed new version of Avast.

dgreenhouse

Re: I've got to leave Avast
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:48:48 AM »
I was just about to buy Avast for a number of systems, but I can't imagine making a purchase at this point.

After experiencing a crash last week, I installed the latest version of Avast 5.x.xxx and even upgraded to the latest release (in the hope of release from the buggyness), and as you might expect - nothing but problems!
(Fortunately my data, development apps, and projects converted over fine, but it's cost me considerable time, energy, and lost income.

This was a big misstep and might just cause Alwil to fail!

I sure hope the company jumps out there and is proactive in the press, because after 32 years in the industry, I can guarantee this will be bad, Bad, BAD news over the next couple of weeks.

I'm really sorry to see this because I've been very impressed with the products and company thus far and have recommended them to a number of people. Someone asked me today about various system protection strategies and I wasn't able to give them my standard answer that I've given over the past year for systems on the low end.

I said... "Go to Microsoft. " :-(

Sorry; hope things get better; but gotta move on...

KatznCohen

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
For really deep uninstalls, I use Revo Uninstaller. It scours out every file and registry key that remains, and it's FREE.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Use the left side gray button for the free one.

I've D/L v. 5, but after reading the forums and posts at VirtualDr.com, I'm waiting. If this continues, I'll return to AVG.

Will there still be definitions issued for v. 4.8?

icr

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
Actually the file is safe even I know that but there was a norton pop up as soon as the download was complete I didn't even run the tool.

Also the GREEN checkmark doesn't mean that it is always safe I have posted the screens of a threat that has GREEN checkmark but its definitely a malware(took it from MDL)

EDIT: Also I have sent the file to symantec haven't got replied about the result but my file is accepted for analysis and I will get the answer shortly

I knew it the file is safe they have added in to their databases Norton now doesn't detect as threat :)